Ordering Licence Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Given that today was bright and sunny, I popped by the garden center to buy some seeds and worms... Upon returning to the car, I noticed that my front licence plate was missing - no sign of it anywhere!

No CCTV coverage.... No witnesses.... I'm not even sure it was stolen - it may have just fallen off for all I know (it was held on by 2 screws, and some old double-sided tape apparently)...

Anyhow, getting to the point - any recomendations on where to get new ones? A quick search on google brings up tons of results, but I'de prefer to pick one based on a recomendation!

TIA,
Michele

Wherever you get them from, report the loss of the existing one to the police and get a reference - you'll need it if you start getting speeding / parking / CC London tickets through the post...

Got mine from my local dealer. IIRC £15 each

Halfords will make up plates while you wait. Make sure you have the V5 and a photo driving licence with you though.

got mine done at Camberly Auto Factors, £12.50 for the pair and a couple of packs of free, strong double sided tape, as Bill said above any plate manufactures need this info to plug into the computer thats linked to the DVLA before they can print onto the stickers which they attached to the pre-cut plates, thus I am not too sure how the online guys manage it,

Normally get my plates from dealers whenever I've changed private plates. I've got a number of sets of the same plate/s now from different garages / marques as I wouldn't want to put VW/Audi branded plates on a Merc or BMW plates on an Audi etc...

Found dealer plates to be cheaper than Halfords. Found some dealers are even stricter though on their ID / requirements. Many want the car too. I remember Finchley Road Audi wouldn't make plates even though I had the V5, driving licence, passport & utility bill. They said they need to make the plates and fix them to the car!

I was thinking more of an online seller where I could put my website under the plate on the frame...

www.fancyplates.com
Choose "Design and Order Online Now" . then the top left "Fancy Plates" option.
Make sure you coose the "Standard UK" Font so they are legal and you can choose your borders and any text on the bottom etc.
Excellent next day service and I've had mine 6 years now and they look like new still!

www.fancyplates.com
Make sure you coose the "Standard UK" Font so they are legal and you can choose your borders and any text on the bottom etc.
Excellent next day service and I've had mine 6 years now and they look like new still!

I've used Fancyplates on several occasions, and agree that the options and speed of delivery are both excellent :bannana:

AFAIK none of the online sellers' plates are really street legal because they don't do the mandatory ID checks. Whether that would cause a problem in practice, I don't know.

AFAIK none of the online sellers' plates are really street legal because they don't do the mandatory ID checks. Whether that would cause a problem in practice, I don't know.

I have had no problems with the plates, passed MOT ok and letter sizing is UK spec.

All cars first registered after 2001 have to have No plates that show the manufacturer's post code and the British Standard No. This is included in the MOT test, but is currently suspended, but can return at any time.

I use craig plates on-line all the time, very good next day servce and no ID needed (that will annoy some people I am sure).

Plates ordered, cost just over £20 - not too bad (I ended up getting a front and a rear, so they are even and I wont need to put those horrid magnetic GB things every time I go into the mainland...)

Michele

I use craig plates on-line all the time, very good next day servce and no ID needed (that will annoy some people I am sure).

Funny how some people get annoyed over the most stupidist things!

www.fancyplates.com

Do they come drilled in order to be fitted? Or does this need to be done by yourself?

Do they come drilled in order to be fitted? Or does this need to be done by yourself?
i think all plates comes with no holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom