Organising a soap box event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

At a party last night I got chatting to the manager of our local National Trust property.

Apparently they are struggling with money (no surprise there) and are very open to events that will draw more people to the property, in terms of one off events and permanent "attractions"

They have a very long drive which is on a hill, lovely smooth tarmac surface with grass verges on either side.

I thought about organising a soap box race and as I've never done anything remotely like this before was wondering if anyone had ideas / suggestions / things to be considered.

My initial thought is that insurance requirements would kill it, anyone got experience of this, or knows where to go to get insurance?

The layout of the property is ideal for this kind of caper with a fairly gentle long hill with a paddock area at both the top and the bottom, along with another vehicular access that would allow the main drive to be closed.

I look forward to your comments.

It's obviously for charity mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
These type of events are great fun. My dads firm was involved in one a while back. Most of the entrants were from an engineering background so you can imagine the standard of some of the carts. Loads of guys with beards who are probably very good at pub quizzes :D

Can't offer any help re insurance.

On the Insurance side, why not contact someone else who has run a similar event and ask them.

I suppose the insurance side will have to be dealt with by the NT as it's their property. As regards the contestants surely a signed waiver will do, what happens on track days and parachute jumps?

NT properties can be good venues for car club rallies and I would think any insurer would accept the cover for a soap box event as long as there is adequate supervision in place.

They won't be insuring the competitors, just the general public.

It could be a great bit of fun and attract large crowds and numbers of competitors of widely publicised.

Maybe it could expand to hill-climb events there as well.

Any pictures of the drive?

Speed reading that I'm surprised anyone ever bothers to organise an event !!!

These bits may give you good advice though :

National Outdoor Events Association 7 Hamilton Way
Wallington
Surrey SM6 9NJ
Tel: 020 8669 8121

For information about health and safety ring HSE’s Infoline Tel: 0845 345 0055
Fax: 0845 408 9566 Textphone: 0845 408 9577 e-mail: [email protected] or write to HSE Information Services, Caerphilly Business Park, Caerphilly CF83 3GG.

http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/04/72/the-approach-to-knightshayes-court-46127.jpg

Here's a photo, not taken by me, but the best I could find on the net.

Ref the hillclimb, that's how the thought first popped into my head, but then I rmeembered going to Pentille FOS this year and, seeing how hard it was for them to get that spot on (although a very enjoyable day) I have decided to try and start smaller, and with something more accessible to the public.

Ref the hillclimb, that's how the thought first popped into my head, but then I rmeembered going to Pentille FOS this year and, seeing how hard it was for them to get that spot on (although a very enjoyable day) I have decided to try and start smaller, and with something more accessible to the public.

The photo doesn't give the impression of steepness, they never do, but the idea is sound.

It would be great fun as a Summer event.

Depending on insurance cover allowable ages, you could get Devon schools and Tech colleges to compete and anyone else that wants a go.

I'm sure the local radio and rag would give it a splash.

sounds fantastic just remember the speeds can get quite high I remember when goodwood had it running the first year we had 4 incidents at molecomb corner including extracting an unconscious Barry Lee from his with cutting equipment!

Last edited:
sounds fantastic just remember the speeds can get quite high I remember when goodwood had it running the first year we had 4 incidents at molecomb corner including extracting an unconscious Barry Lee from his with cutting equipment!

I think that's why it was called off in the end. Good timing though - soap boxes are back at Goodwood next year!

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom