Origin Blue Vs Road Angel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I am thinking that I need a 'road safety camera' warning device in order to preserve my life and my license.

I have been looking at the pro's and cons of both the Origin Blue i and the Road Angel. Both have their good and bad points.

I am leaning towards the Origin has it can be discreetly mounted (in the ashtray), it looks cool, it warns of all fixed cameras, it shows useful info such as actual speed, speed limit, direction, camera type. The only thing against it is that it does not warn of mobile traps.

The road angel has a plug in laser alert that gives warning of mobile speed traps, anybody know how effective this is?

I am not that keen on the Road Angel sitting on the dash, and to locate discreetly needs a seperate antennae that is another £70.

What are peoples experiences and where can the best prices be found? I would like one before the 8th June as I am planning a long distance touring holiday and it would be really useful.

My brother has just got himself a "Road Angel". I admit it is a bit cumberson the way it sits on the dash, also the laser detector bit looks like those chinese "Love Balls" I have heard you can buy!!!

If you see them you'll know what I mean!!!

As the operation goes it is amazingly acurate, advises you off cameras, yet ignoring those on the opposite side of road, unless they are ones which can be turned to face either direction.

Jimmy,

Did you consider the Snooper that Billy got? He posted about it in the other OBi thread...

Its a combined unit - doesn't look too big, might well fit in ashtray
and is apparently on offer at Costco..

Link

Originally posted by Guy
Jimmy,

apparently on offer at Costco..

LOL, go on admit it Guy you have a "Cost Co" loyalty card.

:p :p :p

Costco is a disease .. we are almost on first name terms with the staff there :mad: :mad: :p

I want the Road Angel. I fwe could get ANY discount off the £400 mark I would be interested.

Come on Jimmy use your Trade powers!! We need them.

I've only seen the Origin Blue in Costco (or the older Snooper 815 radar detector)

I'm no good at talking a bargain. Come on someone, get us a group buy discount!

It seems that all these devices are available on the net through various warehouses etc, they all have the same address/phone number and seem unwilling to talk about discounts. They have the market pretty well sewn up by the looks of it.

I have asked the question by e-mail and explained what I do and I am interested in becoming a dealer if I could have half a dozen cheap!! No harm in asking.

Guy, I have looked at the Snooper, it looks very good and the radar/laser detector can be mounted behind the grill out of the way. The best price I have found is £439. Not bad for fixed and mobile detection.

I have spoken to one company who said they would entertain discount for 5 or more units. I like the idea of the snooper but the fitting costs put me off.

If you can only have one of the two systems which are better GPS or radar?

I had a radar detector (snooper 815) and I stopped using it as it drove me mad going off all the time plus didn't detect cameras (or those that did didn't tell you till you were right next to it). I'd say only go for a GPS type or both.

I'm up for the Road Angel if any of the discounts become a goer.

The company that i have spoken with sell most types so it may be possible to get the group discount regardless of which products we choose.

I have just been told by another compant that the snooper can be used without a full install so that is probably guna be the one i want. The price its selling for before any discount is £439.

I'm looking at getting a system - so any discounts that can be gotten as a group buy I'd be up for.

I'd also possibly be looking at a diffuser too.

We had a similar topic on group buys of GPS detectors over on the Lexus owners club, several members were very interested but like here couldn't agree on which one.

Road angel seems to come out tops and the best price we got was £399. Also, he recommends a SLD Laser Diffuser unit. If both products are ordered together he can let us have it for £570, which is a £100 saving. Plus, he will sort out a further Group Buy discount for 5+ ordered.

Last edited:
Originally posted by RichardM
We had a similar topic on group buys of GPS detectors over on the Lexus owners club, several members were very interested but like here couldn't agree on which one.

Road angel seems to come out tops and the best price we got was £399. Also, he recommends a SLD Laser Diffuser unit. If both products are ordered together he can let us have it for £570, which is a £100 saving. Plus, he will sort out a further Group Buy discount for 5+ ordered.

Can walk into my local Halfords and pick one up there and then for £399.

Might have to resist on the way home!

that was a few months ago, prices have probably dropped since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom