original or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John757

Car
E350CDi Coupe , Gwagen 280GE , SL55 AMG , Audi SQ5 Quattro
It crossed my mind recently.. how many parts can you change before your vehicle is no longer the same car.. if you change the engine.. chassis... etc will it become ..
"The Ship of Theseus" ?

With 'restored' aircraft they only have to contain one single original piece (no matter how small/trivial). So you can dig up the remains of a corroded wreck that's been buried on a salt water beach for 45 years, build a completely new aircraft around a couple of cosmetic engine parts from it and that's then a genuine WW2 Spitfire:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With a kit car, I believe it has to contain a 'major component' to retain the registration number. From what I can recall a major component is something that had its own number, so engine or chassis.

With a kit car, I believe it has to contain a 'major component' to retain the registration number. From what I can recall a major component is something that had its own number, so engine or chassis.
You can't keep the original registration number at all although you can have the year of the donor vehicle on your V5, but they're trying to stop that too now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom