Original Split rims for my R129 - is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
I all, I hope the weeks going well.

My 1997 SL500 originally came with a set of staggered 18 inch AMG Split rims. It has the small rear plastic wheel arch fins that were factory fitted for this and also has factory rolled front arches to accommodate the wheels. These are all on the dealer delivery / invoice sheet I have in the history.

It currently has a set of replica staggered split rims. A previous owner must have sold the originals.

I'd love to get the original wheels, as they will no doubt make the car feel better on the road. The replicas looks fine and to anyone else, look the same. I'm not sure that originals would add any resale value, as R129s are not going to break any sales records, especially as mine is approaching 100000 miles.

I've seen sets on Ebay for around £1000 - £1500, not an inconsiderable amount of money, so it's a purchase I'd not take lightly, but I would like to if it's a worthwhile but.

Is it worth it? Will I end up just curbing the things?! Will the drive feel better?

Has anyone a set to sell?

I'm looking at bringing the car back to stock condition, so it is on my list.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Ian

The original wheels will always add value to the car

If the car is a 'keeper' and you can get a set for an affordable price I would do it (in fact I did!).

Apart from the cost the only downside would be sourcing a replacement if you were to badly damage one. They haven't been available new for a while now.

If kerbing is a concern make sure you get tyres that have decent rim protection. I have Dunlop SP Sport ones on mine, which are pretty good in that respect.

Or you could just buy the carlssons on that "other" thread pretty much exactly the same spec as the proper amg 2 piece !

I wouldn't have those Carlsson's on my car, sorry!

I would go for it!

Yes they may seem expensive, but as mentioned above if the car is a keeper it doesnt matter...

Furthermore, they will never go down in value themselves and with the replica set you currently have, you will always have the option to revert back to them when selling the car and then sell the alloys seperately..

Yup it would be advisable to hang on to the reps. for winter use etc. too.

Cheers guys, I will go for it soon.

I think I need to spend my money on some new cam oiler tubes first, as the engine has developed that annoying M119 tick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom