Original W126 300 SE Tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David C

Car
E200 CGI Cabriolet & 1987 300 SE
Hi,

I got my W126 300 SE 1987 yesterday bit of a project,
Nice base car with only 60k on the clock so I'm trying to put back to her former glory to enjoy.

Question is, the car has 4 different tyres on it, does anyone know what the original tyres were for this car? Brand, size, etc

The current tyres are 205/65R15's

Thank you in advance

Dave
:dk:

Well the size is correct. My data card at the back of the service book says, 'Michelin' for the tyres fitted at factory.

Stu

My 300SE still has the factory supplied, unused spare.

It is a Michelin MXV - 205/65 x 15 94V.

Don't think the original tread pattern is still available. I have been using their Pilot Premacy. Good all rounder if you don't mind the cost, but my last set suffered sidewall cracking. Seems that 's been superceded too. Their website now only list the Energy Saver range in that size.

Thank you,
I've found the same with the Michelins, only the energy savers.
I've got a tyre guy at work I'll have a chat with him a d see what he can get me

Thanks again!

The modern Michelins suffer the same as the old styles, that of cracking or split sidewalls.
It has been a "feature" for many years, though usually the tyres have been quite old and standing idle for some time.

Michelin has a new factory in Serbia for the manufacture of the Classic Range of tyres.
It might be worth contacting Longstone tyres in the UK, they have a cracking deal on Michelin and Pirelli Classic Tyres, free freight.
Free freight to Australia means plenty! Not so much to yo blokes in the UK.

Cheers
Richard

MB have always had a policy of sourcing parts from multiple suppliers : this gives resilience if one supplier has a problem .

Besides Michelin , Mercedes has used many other tyre suppliers , including Continental ( which has appeared on the datacards for many of my cars ) , they are probably the most 'traditional' brand of tyre for fitment to a Mercedes , being German , and both companies having been associated for a great many years .

I run Conti 205/65 15V Premium Contact 2 on my 500SEL ; this is the third set and I cannot endorse them highly enough .

+1 on the continental pre contact 2.
Have them on a 560SEC and they are excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom