Original W210 E55 AMG brake pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fishmk1

Car
E55 AMG (W210) '98
Hi there!

I need some new brakes after recently setting fire to what was left of mine lapping the Nordschleife :rock:

I've got a pair of original front discs for a nice price off eBay (and may well find some rears too and just change the lot at the same time) but I don't know what pads I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me what pads were OE on my car please?

I did some Googling and read somewhere they were originally Pagid and have metallic flecks in them, is this right? Can anyone give me the name or compound type of these pads or even an MB part number? In case you hadn't guessed, I want genuine parts without being bummed by the local stealership.

I have used and liked Mintex 1144 in the past for road cars, normally I would just go for these but now reading about what sounds like a metallic compound in these OE Pagid pads I am not sure they will be suitable.

Can anyone in the know advise please?

Thanks in advance :)

Have you got a price from MB to compare with? They tend to be quite competitive on service items.

At least you'll know you're getting the correct spec for your AMG

Pads and discs for the E55 are really quite cheap now, I bought some for my C43 recently they are the same as the 55, and the pads were £57 from MB the discs are stupidly cheap now from MB to what they were, they were £247ea though I cant remember the exact price of what they are now but I,m pretty sure they were less than the pads were each.

Pads and discs for the E55 are really quite cheap now, I bought some for my C43 recently they are the same as the 55, and the pads were £57 from MB the discs are stupidly cheap now from MB to what they were, they were £247ea though I cant remember the exact price of what they are now but I,m pretty sure they were less than the pads were each.

How recently? I was under the impression mb made a mistake with pricing and put it back up? Either way £57 or old price I think was £137!

Dont go near the MB pads or Pagid if you are going to drive it in anger or round the ring they are not up to it. I've had countless sets of MB brakes on fire round the ring most on C63 but they are not suited to this or fast road work

Ferrodo DS2000, Pagid Pro or Sparco race pro would be your best option IMHO from over 1000 laps of the ring.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

flango said:
Dont go near the MB pads or Pagid if you are going to drive it in anger or round the ring they are not up to it. I've had countless sets of MB brakes on fire round the ring most on C63 but they are not suited to this or fast road work Ferrodo DS2000, Pagid Pro or Sparco race pro would be your best option IMHO from over 1000 laps of the ring. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

+1. Had smoke pouring off the brakes on C63 estate at Brooklands. Thankfully MB car not mine:)

Just called the local dealer and got the following prices:

Front discs/pads/wear sensors £246

Apparently the pads are £117 and the sensors are £11, making the discs £118.

I assume these prices are all plus VAT but even so, a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

Bought OE front discs and Mintex 1144 pads in the end. Last week went to ring did 13 laps then onto Spa for MLR trackday. Brake lining indicator came on after a few sessions at Spa, was coming off track with clean front wheels and rear wheels black with dust. Fronts doing all the work and rear pads (unknown make but probably cheap) couldn't keep up and now resemble Ryvita.

Ordered OE rear discs from M-B (£75 pair inc. VAT) and Tarox (Strada I assume) pads (£97 inc. VAT) as Mintex don't do an 1144 for the rear.

Just thought I'd post up, mainly for any interest in current prices on parts :)

Last edited:
Questmead in Rochdale, Lancashire. The front Mintex 1144 pads were about £110 iirc.

01706 363939

http://www.questmead.co.uk

They are trade only so you need an account, my mate owns a garage so he ordered and I collected. They're very knowledgable and helpful on uprated braking

Had a look at the front pads recently because they were squeaking and because they've overheated (due to standard pads on the back for Nurburgring and Spa) they're quite badly damaged and need replacing again. Ho hum LOL

Will probably go for Tarox Strada to match the ones I put in the rear a couple of weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom