OT: An Ebay question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gizmo750

Car
Audi TT
Hi all,

I know that I am not the only one here to trawl Ebay looking for stuff so I hope that someone here can answer my question.

I have won an item from Germany and the seller wants to do a bank transfer (doesn't do Paypal and sending a cheque could take forever!)

What do I need from the seller to sort this out and what do I have to do when I get the info down to my bank?

Much appreciated if anyone can help as I haven't done this before :crazy:

Thanks

Guy

You want.

1. His name
2. His Bank name
3. Bank Sort Code
4. Account Number

But check with your Bank as it is an overseas account.:confused:

most efficient way is a "swift" transfer - despite it's name it can take 2 or 3 days.

As Brian says you need that info from him, go into your bank and tell them just what you want to do and they should organise it for you.

Rather than sending a personal cheque how about sending an international money order it wouldn't take more than a couple of days to arrive and as they are bought with "cleared funds" they are just the same as cash but with the bonus that you can track them and stop them if they go missing in the post.

An alternative (which we have used in the past to get money to people abroad) is to use a travel agent. Thomas Cook can organise an international transfer of cash instantly to another travel agency or bureau de change in most places. It's not a service they always advertise but they can and will do it if you ask them.

You can also pay money direct onto his credit card account from either your card or your bank. For that you will need his credit card number (no need for the expiry date or security code off the back) so his account is not in any danger. That would guarantee he had the money at the best exchange rate within a couple of days.

Just a few suggestions.

Andy

I have paid by 'swift' bank transfer for many items from Germany. It costs £18 (ouch!!) with NatWest. This wasn't so bad when paying for Comand and expensive things, but makes 'cheaper' things very expensive!!

Paul G

Brian / Andy - thanks for the replies, makes much more sense to me now

Paul - £18 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: that is not at all funny as I have to do two transactions and the items are only worth about 20 euros each . . . . . . . . .

May require a rethink or a polite word in my local Nationwide managers ear'ole!

Guy

for €20 I'd send cash :)

The nationwide are useless at swift transfers as they are not a "proper" bank they have to send all theirs through HSBC international which adds at least one working day to the transfer

Andy

Last edited:
send cash for 20 EUROS, i think your covered for £30 so its ok!
#

A word of warning about eBay.

Click Me

Makes for frightening reading... in that people are gullible enough to give their details out so easily. :rolleyes:

S.

Very interesting article....Something along the lines of what I'm being commissioned to study at the moment.

To be fair, lets say you set up your grandmother (or any other complete novice) with a PC on the web and she was sent an email purporting to be from her bank with a link that appeared to be genuine. If that link suggested that he/she needed to activate her online account by logging in using her bank details, he/she would probably do it wouldnt they?

Anyone here ever had a look at http://www.carderplanet.com/ It only comes up online every now and again (prolly at pre arranged times) but when it does its a hell of an eyeopener!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Sp!ke
Very interesting article....Something along the lines of what I'm being commissioned to study at the moment.

To be fair, lets say you set up your grandmother (or any other complete novice) with a PC on the web and she was sent an email purporting to be from her bank with a link that appeared to be genuine. If that link suggested that he/she needed to activate her online account by logging in using her bank details, he/she would probably do it wouldnt they?

No i don't think that they would do it, they are the ones who are far more suspicious of the internet and all it's associated evils than the regular users.

The old saying familiarity breeds contempt stands true, people as a rule pay very little attention to their email, trusting it's content as it's just "there" all the time, sure the bank emails you, ebay emails you, they ask you to confirm details some people would do it automatically and without a second thought. These are the very same people who seldom feel the need for virus protection on their computer as they've never had a virus :) irresponsible yes and stupid enough to deserve everything they get.

As for the second part of the scam, that requires an additional ingredient - greed. Someone thinks they are getting something for nothing or a lot cheaper than they can get it elsewhere they start seeing the pound and dollar signs and lose sight of the fact they are possibly being ripped off.

Sadly, we live in a world where people will try and exploit any slight loopholes in the system and eventually laws will be passed to stop it happening again but at the end of the day the 2 things that make all these scams possible - stupidity and greed can never be legislated against

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom