OT: Jump starting a Mondeo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Ive got a Mondeo that has a flat battery, I need to sort it out so I can flog it.

How do you jump start a car? (I know you cant use Auto's so I wont use the Merc).

Do you connect + to - etc?

Cheers

Start engine on donor car

connect

-'ve to -ve

+'ve to +'ve

Then try to start car with flat battery.

Let it run for a minute or two

disconnect in reverse order !

S.

(don't connect -ve to +ve, whatever you do !!)

S.

if you are not planning on driving the car too much, I'd remove the battery and charge it properly.

Jump starting will get the car going but won't really put enough life in the battery unless you take it for a good drive afterwards.

Andy

I thought it was ok to use an auto to jump start another vehicle but not to jump start an auto ??

never heard that one before . . I've jumpstarted autos with autos, manuals with autos and autos with manuals !! . . .

I think you may be referring to "push-starting" rather than "jump-starting" !

S.

Thats what i was thinking , thats good then cause ive jumped my mates renault 19 3 times today !! Think ill stick with Merc.

My car battery is flat, how can I start my car?

If your vehicle has a manual gear box it may be possible to get it started by a push-start.

Switch on the ignition and release the handbrake. Put into third gear and hold the clutch pedal fully down while someone pushes (or if you have planned it right roll down a hill!!) the car along at a brisk walking pace. Once momentum has been achieved let in the clutch sharply, and providing there is nothing else wrong, the engine should start. (Do not repeat if you have a catalytic convertor as unburnt fuel could damage/shorten its life).

An alternative method is to use another car and some jump leads. CHECK YOUR CAR'S HANDBOOK TO ENSURE IT IS PERMISSIBLE TO JUMP START THE ENGINE as serious damage can be caused to some cars with electronic engine management systems.

Jump leads are heavy duty, red and black, electric cables with clips at both ends.

Park another car with a healthy battery next to your car so that the jump leads can reach both batteries, obviously don't let the cars touch each other.

The red cable is positive and the black, negative. Connect them between the terminals on the two batteries in this order - BLACK LEAD FROM NEGATIVE (-) TO NEGATIVE (-) THEN THE RED LEAD FROM POSITIVE (+) TO POSITIVE (+).

When connecting the negative lead to the car with the faulty battery you should clamp it to a bare metal body part or an engine component that is at least 30 cm (1 ft) away from the battery.

Make sure all lights and accessories are turned off in your own car. Start the engine of the donor car and run at fast idling speed and, if your battery was absolutely flat, wait for a few minutes for the other battery to boost the voltage in yours before trying to start your engine.

Start your engine in the normal way. When it is running, disconnect the leads in this order, THE POSITIVE (RED) LEAD FROM BOTH BATTERIES AND THEN THE NEGATIVE (BLACK).

Last edited:
Cheers for your replies people!

Ive been thinking, a new battery is like £30? I had may aswell get a new one for it. as I called out the AA a few months ago who jump started it and the battery must be fecked!...

Question II

How easy is it 2 swap batteries over without killing myself?

Cheers!

the answer to question 2 is ......

very simple to change and reasonably difficult to kill yourself :)

1, disconnect the battery negative terminal it will have a "-" symbol on it - you must disconnect that one first

2, disconnect the battery positive terminal "+"

3, loosen the clamp or strap retaining the battery

4, lift the battery out and replace with a new one

5, tighten the clamp/strap

6, re-connect the positive terminal

7, reconnect the negative terminal

as long as you follow that procedure and don't bridge/short circuit the two battery terminals with your spanner then you are in no danger.

Andy

Cheers! have a Big Banana:

bigbanana.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom