OT: Motor Scooters - Medium/Large - Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Well I have taken the first steps.
Booked my MC Theory test today (March 11).
Booked Direct Access Course (Day one on Monday! - cos I am itchin for a go...)

I will delay the remainder of the course until after theory test.

Will a Pan European be a step too far (big) for a newbie biker?
NormanB

NormanB said:
Hi

Well I have taken the first steps.
Booked my MC Theory test today (March 11).
Booked Direct Access Course (Day one on Monday! - cos I am itchin for a go...)

I will delay the remainder of the course until after theory test.

NormanB

To be honest, I would say yes it is a little bit too big a leap.

I have friends that ride big sports bikes who are really quite ill at ease on the ST1100 purely because of its size and weight. I've never yet fallen off this particular bike but I can tell you when you get it all squirelly, its a real monster to keep it sunny side up and I've been riding bikes for.... ( givin my age away :( ) 19 years having done over 500,000 miles on two wheels and ridden both competitively and professionally in the past. Its a damn good bike, don't get me wrong, its just not nearly so forgiving as say a CBR600.

As you can see, I'll never make a salesman. :cool:

NormanB said:
NormanB

NormanB

I'd say definitely yes - unless you have experience of BIG bikes. Handling-wise, think Golf GTI for a small/lightish bike, compared with S-Class for a Pan. The Golf is more forgiving and fun, whereas a large fast vehicle is a good way of getting into trouble quickly.

Just came to me today, since I tried slowing my S500 barge from 145 mph. Comparing it with my bike (GSXR 1000) on the same road is hilarious - the bike hits 180 mph in the same space and stops on a sixpence.

My advice is to get a bike you can thrash and enjoy, then take the principle to a bigger bike - you'll have a better laugh that way.

God luck with the test and have fun!

Edit: Try Good luck instead - OK I realised before today - I just confirmed it with my 4 door bus - I've ridden bikes for 27 years, and have known since 1982 (first Ducati) that handling/light weight is key to having fun and surviving.

Alan

Last edited:
:mad: :rolleyes: :( :confused: :crazy:

I am well hacked off.

Took the M/C practical today and failed - put my foot down on the road during the U turn - which is a mandatory fail. Really really annoying - and to make matters worse I only had 3 'minor faults' during the whole test.

Bugger - I have done scores of U turns in the last few days without a problem - bugger.

My spleen is now vented - thank you.

NormanB

Norm - what a bugger!!!! Sorry to hear that - at least you get another go I s'pose. Is it a long waiting list or can you get a re-test fairly quickly?

pammy said:
Norm - what a bugger!!!! Sorry to hear that - at least you get another go I s'pose. Is it a long waiting list or can you get a re-test fairly quickly?

Thanks Pammy

10 (working) day manadatory wait, I have booked for 14 April.

Oh I could crush a grape! :D

NormanB

Stupid tip for you Norman but do you do your u turns with your rear brake on slightly. always found that helped me no end

lotusmark2 said:
Stupid tip for you Norman but do you do your u turns with your rear brake on slightly. always found that helped me no end

Yes - I do that. I have done loads and loads without problem - not a happy bunny :mad:

A U turn with your rear brake on hard would probably work too :crazy:

Accelerate hard, apply rear brake hard, U turn daredevil style! :devil:

Probably wont get you a pass though

Gizmo750 said:
A U turn with your rear brake on hard would probably work too :crazy:

Accelerate hard, apply rear brake hard, U turn daredevil style! :devil:

Probably wont get you a pass though

Cheers Gizmo :devil:

On a serious note Norman, I would recommend that you stick somewhere between 400cc and 600cc for your first bike, whether that be a scooter style like the Suzuki Burgmann(?) or something like a 600 Suzuki Bandit or Honda CBR600 - both of these are plenty quick enough to scare you and will lead you gently into biking without biting you every time you twist the throttle. My local Suzuki dealers will do you a good deal if you decide that way - let me know if you want me to have a "word"?

Guy

I am a similar height to you - I had sports bikes but found them uncomfortable on long runs. My last bike was a Yam TDM 850. These are super bikes - not too expensive, ideal for taller people who want to ride in style and comfort but with plenty of power for getting out of those 'situations' that happen all too often on busy roads......

Paul G

Paul Grainger said:
I am a similar height to you - I had sports bikes but found them uncomfortable on long runs. My last bike was a Yam TDM 850. These are super bikes - not too expensive, ideal for taller people who want to ride in style and comfort but with plenty of power for getting out of those 'situations' that happen all too often on busy roads......

Paul G

Thanks Paul - they look like the business, I have just had a look at some via autotrader.

NormanB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom