OT: Motor Scooters - Medium/Large - Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanB

Car
W210
Hi

I am aware some of the forum are bikers too, so seeking advice.

First - are there any good forums (like this) for the two wheel community?

In mid life crisis I have decided I want to get on two wheels but still want a bit of comfort so think one of these rather posh new scooters (with slighly larger wheels than scooters of yore) meets my needs (Piaggio X9 for example). However I am completely unfamiliar with the market, what is available and the pros and cons of each model. I will only be using it for short trips - under 20 miles but includes a short stretch of motorway.

Appreciate any pointers on where I can advance my knowledge of the market quickly or indeed any recommends.

NormanB

Hi Kinky

Thanks for that and have posted my question - but I bet I get flamed from a loada hairy ar*ed bikers :)

NormanB

Hi Norman, have had too many vinos this evening for a thorough answer but if you can give me a little more detail I will answer tomorrow,
What CC are you looking at?
Do you have a full bike licence?
Have you had bikes in the past?
How tall and dare I say heavy are you?
Any preference on image/speed of the bike.
Cheers
Mark

Mark

a. Engine size - not sure but min 125 and probably 250cc 4 stroke.
b. Full Bike Licence - no but intend to do Direct Access.
c. Bikes in the past: Yes many (like yonks) years ago. Lambretta 175cc and believe it or not a Honda 90 step thru which I used for commuting for about 5 years.
d. Fat Bastard? Yes 6' 2" and 210 pounds
e. Image/Speed of bike. Not overly concerned with image but I would like something that has visual appeal to me (Piaggio X9/Yamaha Majesty). Not too concerned with top speed per se, just keep up with traffic flow, have enough power to accelerate out of trouble as an option, cope with hills without fading. So I suppose a nominal top of 90?

Also where do you buy these things and do you pay sticker price is there a jamjar.com option/bike supermarket?

NormanB

Scooters - Yuuuk

Sorry Norman but they really do!

Get yer direct access and re-assess. My bet is you do the direct access on a CB500 or similar and decide you want a 'proper' bike.

Virgin sell bikes at cutdown prices but theur site is currently down due to some merger -?

Last edited:
lotusmark2 said:
Hi Norman, have had too many vinos this evening for a thorough answer
At 8.55pm - you bad lad;) :D

Don't do the scooter Norm, Too many wannabe's have 'em :eek: ie - dreaming on 17year old boys:D I'm with Spike on this - if you're gonna do it - do it with style;) bikes are now the big boys toy - and that's not a ref to your height or weight;) :D so play with the big boys not the weenies

Personally - I wouldn't touch a bike again - bin there, dun that - hmmm not a good outcome:D much safer in a car :D

Last edited:
Also where do you buy these things and do you pay sticker price is there a jamjar.com option/bike supermarket?
Buy a copy of Bike Trader out fortnightly, Tuesdays i think. lots of dealer adverts with offers etc.
Or a Copy of MotorCycle News out weekly. Here's there web site http://www.motorcyclenews.com/home Info and bike for sale there too along with dealer adverts/links.
Do your Direct Acees first before you buy a bike and I think you will change ya mind about a scooter and go for a proper bike. ;)

Right sobber ish now......
I have to agree with most on here and say get your ticket first then go shopping.
I would not go on the motorway on anything under a 500cc because you not only need the power but you also need the weight of a bigger bike when the side wind or lorries wizz past.
at 6ft 2 you are also going to be far more comfortable on a slightly larger bike.
You could do a lot worse than look at some of the 5-600cc thumper trail bikes, low insurance, cheap to buy and run. Also worth looking at the Kwak GT550 as they are cheap and easy to maintain (shaft drive) and 5000 bike couriers cant be wrong :D
Let me know your thoughts and if you want to PM me please do and we can go into a bit more detail.
M

n

Sp!ke said:
Scooters - Yuuuk

Keep away from the things Norman, take all the advice you are getting here and buy a bike. Just watch it with the overconfidence bit though whenever you get one, a lot of returning bikers are having accidents.

Bob

You say your after a larger scooter, along with my thoughts and most others here think a "proper bike" would be better.
Well how about a Cruiser something like a Yamaha Dragstar, Thus giving you the laid back riding position of a scooter etc along with cheap insurance too

Aletank said:
Well how about a Cruiser something like a Yamaha Dragstar, Thus giving you the laid back riding position of a scooter etc along with cheap insurance too

Just be careful on the cruisers as anyone 6ft+ tend to find them a bit lacking in legroom

Well as Donald Sutherland jibed in 'Kellys Heroes'.

'Too many negative waves'

Please keep the inputs and advice coming, I do appreciate it all and am weighing it very carefully - I can see scooters are not too popular!

Anyways I have a way to go before any decisions have to be taken - need a licence first.

What is interesting is that I have had a wealth of responses and advice here but diddly squat from pistonheads/gassing - which probably confirms the superiority of this forum or just how much scooters are hated! ;-)

Thanks to all.

NormanB

Sorry Norman,

I am honestly suprised at the lack of response from PH.

Perhaps it's a bikers weekend off - or perhaps they're all of the romantic sort and have taken their other halves away for the weekend.

I am suprised.

K

Norman,
Give http://www.ride-out.com/ a try, they are all a friendly bunch and will be more than happy to slag of scooters :D, Anoher bike that spings to mind is the Yamaha XJ600 Diversion, great first bike with some weather protection.

Norman,

I think the bike for you may be a BMW. They are comfortable and available with ABS which can be very important as it is a sod stopping a bike in the wet.
Some members of this forum seem a bit anti beemer but the bikes are good for people who are not interested in giving it lots of welly. They go forever if a bit agricultural.

Bob

Norman

I've been into (big) bikes for a few years now but these big scooters are bloody good value for money. The ones with 400/500cc engines are not slow and can easily keep up with a 'normal' bike, in 'normal' road conditions. You also have the benefit of a bit of weather protection.

Take your direct access test and see how you feel about bikes/scooters, then get the biggest and best you can afford, you will not be disappointed. Good luck.

Oh, whilst on the subject of bikes - I am selling my Pan European (ST1100) for a song (£3k). Keep your eyes and ears open for anyone in the market for one.

Its a silver 1994 50k (genuine) miles (these things will do 250k), panniers, Givi box, lots of history, (cam belt done about 10k ago), absolutely nothing required as I have just recently done it all, with new tyres, brake pads, fork seals, clutch, oil, plugs, filters etc etc. Very clean for age with the genuine wind deflector kit fitted...plus, its gotta be one of the best sounding Pans in the country with 100% SS pipes from Two Brothers Racing. Just think how nice this 1100cc V4 motor sounds like with straight thru pipes - who needs a stereo anyway :D

@ Sp!ke
Send us a piccy mate ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom