Ot - PC's why do we do it? Sound prob..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
Must be glutten for punishment - but here's todays PC prob!!!

Daughter's PC has on board sound or not as the case now appears to be:eek: . All was working well up to Friday night when she said she thought her speakers had blown, with what they have to cope with I wouldn't have been surprised:eek: She tested other speakers that we know work and still no sound:( I've gone through all the diagnostics I can but no joy. Her PC is just over two years old, not particularly high spec, but as her main past time on it is chatting on MSN and shaking the house to it's foundations, not having sound is a form of mental torture for her - and nuff said about what that means for me:D Is it likely then that the onboard sound has just blown? If so - is this the start of a downhill run:( , can I just buy a new sound card and put that in? Everything else is working OK.

TIA

did the pc come with a backup/reinstall disc.if yes put the disc in and run the driver for the sound card..just make sure there isn't a cross on the speaker on the bottom task bar,ie the sound card hasnt been turned off in error..does happen

keep up the good work all

You can just buy a new sound card, they dont cost much these days a Creative SoundBlaster 1024 card costs about £25 ish and are quite good. I have never had faith in on board things i.e. graphics and sound cards. They always (to me) seem to cause problems and there is no real fix apart from buying a new motherboard. Then there is the problem with memory etc as any new board is bound to be different fronm the original.

yea tbh i would jsut shove a half decent sound card in there, for the 20-30 quid they cost its worth it just to stop the hassle (dont get creative tho very bad drivers)

and what pammy would she be normal if she wasent playing loud music, you wanna worry when she gets to my level of buying cars simply to the amount of sub enclosure space when you dith the rear seats

mmm volvo estate hehe

sound probs

popping a new sound card in sould be ok, but as mentioned before check output hasn't been disabled, look at the speaker icon next to the clock in system tray.
Try re-loading the driver.
Check what free expasion slots you have on your system board, you should at least one pci slot free for a card.
You may have to disable the on-board sound in the system bios before an external card to work - F1, F2 oe Del to enter setup on power up. Don't mess around with too much in setup - you could stop a pc from booting all together.Make a note of any settings before you change anything is the best bet.

cheap soundcards

if the pc is not a top notch system,theres no point in fitting a fancy card they have lots of functions you wont need if you only have 2 speakers.they cost £8 new boxed ,if i can be of any help p.m. me

keep up the good work all

pammy said:
Must be glutten for punishment - but here's todays PC prob!!!

Daughter's PC has on board sound or not as the case now appears to be:eek: . All was working well up to Friday night when she said she thought her speakers had blown, with what they have to cope with I wouldn't have been surprised:eek: She tested other speakers that we know work and still no sound:( I've gone through all the diagnostics I can but no joy. Her PC is just over two years old, not particularly high spec, but as her main past time on it is chatting on MSN and shaking the house to it's foundations, not having sound is a form of mental torture for her - and nuff said about what that means for me:D Is it likely then that the onboard sound has just blown? If so - is this the start of a downhill run:( , can I just buy a new sound card and put that in? Everything else is working OK.

TIA

id spend more on a sound card anyway as it will sound much better

ive never trusted cheap soundcards

As ever - thanx all for your input. Have put a new sound card in and all is well:bannana: Sound Blaster 5.1 Live. At least it gives her the option to add some better speakers in the future if she wants to.

Was a good job we went wireless a couple of weeks ago though - had to remove one of her netwrok cards to gain a slot:eek:

Cheers guys:D :D

get thee to richer sounds to get her some propper amps and speakers

i reccon you have way too many computers

note to self buy wireless network card and start wardriving near pammys house :D

Guess what??????

she's done it again - and it seems she's blown this card too :eek: :eek: :eek:

She does tend to leave it on and playing 24/7 - surely the card shouldn;t have blown this quickly :confused: :(

ps - Shude - do you wanna move this to the new IT thread?

Guess what - we now have a new PC Advice section !!!

I think i'll move the entire thread in there :D

S.

sym said:
Guess what - we now have a new PC Advice section !!!

I think i'll move the entire thread in there :D

S.

:p was there with ya :D

All sorted - re-installed the software and now all is well again - she gets to live!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom