OT: Problem with tenants - URGENT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
I have letted my property out to a couple whom occupy the house. The tenant has sub-letted one of the rooms out to a woman who refuses to leave.

What are my options? what can I do?

I need to get rid of her so that my wife and I can move in! been married 4 months and am living with my parents still.

Get hold of "Pacific Heights" on DVD and watch with horror! :)

Koolvin said:
I have letted my property out to a couple whom occupy the house. The tenant has sub-letted one of the rooms out to a woman who refuses to leave.

What are my options? what can I do?

I need to get rid of her so that my wife and I can move in! been married 4 months and am living with my parents still.

why is she refusing to leave?

I assume the tenancy agreement with the couple does not permit sub letting?

Also that you have served notice on the couple and they have or are about to leave ?

I don't mind the couple staying there, the wife and I are planning to share with them.

It's the other lady that wont budge, her reason for not paying rent is that she is not working because she is pregnant?

my tenancy agreement did state this:

(3.11) Not to assign, or subletpart with possession of the property, or let it any person live at the property.

go download some sepultura and some metallica and play at full volume at 3am...

as said above - did the contact with the couple state no sub-letting? does the sub let contract have a time limit? its still no excuse to refuse to pay the rent - thats surely grounds for removing her - but it looks liek a courts thing im afraid.

The sub contract tenancy agreement was a photocopied version of the one I issued to the main couple.

As I've said I have no problems with the couple - it's just the woman I need to get rid of.

She doesn't have any right to be there and she doesn't have any official documents to be their either.

She stays at her aunts most of the time and I think she is just using the room for storage - it's a TIP!

Can i not just move all her belongings into the shed and change the locks?

Sorry to hear this.

How about changing the lock on her door or fitting one? Do it when she's out and just let her in to get her stuff. Surely she's got no legal rights.

she might have squatters rights :eek: . Vinny - after this episode - I reckon you do have prob's with the couple - coz don't forget - it's them who got you to this position! They broke their rental agreement with you without your permission your recourse will prob be against them while also looking to serve an eviction order on the woman.

You can't just dump her stuff though - you will proba have to give her reasonable notice to quit and if she doesn't - then get shut.

But as she's obviously not homeless having an aunt's to go to - you could risk her wrath and just put all her stuff outside and change the locks.

Can i not just move all her belongings into the shed and change the locks?

Yes, that exactly what to do. She has no right there at all.

When she is out, remove all her stuff into eg the garage, carrier bags or whatever. Change the locks so she has no access at all.

Give the bill for the new locks to the couple who let her in - or kick them out as well . . .

Hard? No at all - she is the one that is being hard nosed and stealing 'free' accomodation. Do you think for a moment she would then take you to court - not in a million years . . .

As the saying goes, just do it . . .

I know what I would do......

But when you ask advice sadly it cannot be 'what I would do'

If you cannot afford to go to a solicitor can you contact your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau?

If you had no knowledge of anyone occupying any part of the house other than the legitimate couple and you happened to stumble on some 'rubbish' dumped in a room then obviously that would be a different matter. It might be considered a 'fire' hazard, 'health' hazard, or dumped stolen property???

John

fire hazzard! cool!

I wish I could think like that!

Last edited:
If there's anything worth having, keep it, chuck the rest of the stuff in the street and change the locks !! Bloody freeloaders ! :mad:

Hi,
bare in mind that she might want you to take action !
A long time ago when I still lived at home with my parents. The lady nextdoor moved away to live with her daughter, and they let her house out to a family. They was very nice but from day one they never paid a days rent and in the finish she had to evict them. At which point they went to the top of the council list and was awarded a nice council house. The eviction was what they wanted all along. They were quite put out that it took them a year to get it

sounds like legal advice is going to be your only hope :(

good luck

Peter

hi sorry to hear of this, but as a private landlord the only recourse is through the law.

the scum that live in this world have the uncanny ability to cause decent people grief and heartache. :devil:

Any thing you do, that is not sanctioned by law, will be held against you.

You will have to evict the main tenant for breaching their tenancy agreement with you by subletting. :crazy:

This will then mean that you can evict the other person as well.

please dont take the law into your own hands (as we have done in the past) it only ruins your good name and causes more grief.

we know this because this is what we do for a living

all the best

kenny

I did not really want to evict the main tenant. He would leave if I asked him too.

What would then happen to the woman who is there?

I am planning to move in anyway as there is a bedroom that is still free. The law really sucks!

If I move back in do I need to get the original tenants to sign any new papers?

Last edited:
in theory if you evict him, for breach, she has no recourse to stay, you could say he has to go, get him to leave so she leaves then have him move back

a bit of a game really, although she has no legal right to be there, she can be a real pain

cheers

kenny

technically he does not have to move out does he? is there not any paperwork we can sign to say he has moved out and then a week later sign again to say he is moving back in?

or do I really need to go down the eviction route? this is awfuly messy.

I think she is on a work permit as well - I know that she has only been in the country for 3 years.

What happens if I move in?

Koolvin said:
technically he does not have to move out does he? is there not any paperwork we can sign to say he has moved out and then a week later sign again to say he is moving back in?

or do I really need to go down the eviction route? this is awfuly messy.

I think she is on a work permit as well - I know that she has only been in the country for 3 years.

What happens if I move in?

hmm , i wonder if immigration know about her then :D let them do the donkey work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom