OT: Renewable Energy Providers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I switched to Bulb a while ago as I'd heard a lot of good things about Bulb in the run up to switching

I'd been with SSE for ages and was happy with them.

However, despite knowing I could save money on my bills, I was reluctant to change and end up with an inept company and all the grief that entails.

What finally pushed me over to switching was SSE trying to threaten me with a "Smart" meter using the "under government legislation, we can inspect your meter and replace if necessary".

My existing meter is fine and was new in the early noughties and I know new meters are optional.

So to me this meant they'd bull they way into swapping out the meter to get their kick back, and I'd be left with another "just a meter" as we have poor mobile signal (we use WiFi Calling) and even SMETS2 are not fully compatible with all providers nor problem-free.

We are conscious of our energy usage and minimise where possible as I believe this is the most beneficial to the planet.

We have been with Pure Planet for the last few months - can’t currently beat their prices for our usage so staying out for now. All renewable electricity tariffs. We will probably review again in the spring - our usage pattern has been a bit haywire since we swapped the gas pool heater for an air source heat pump earlier this year, and to add to the confusion we will shortly swap the car for electric. Putting those two together makes it quite hard to work out the best tariff, so we want a bit more real world data before we settle.

Been with them for a couple of years, no problems, until smart meters fitted two months ago. Now no bills, they tell me my electric meter is not registered, therefore the app wont let me me give a manual reading. Isn't modern technology great!

I switched to Bulb a while ago as I'd heard a lot of good things about Bulb in the run up to switching

I'd been with SSE for ages and was happy with them.

However, despite knowing I could save money on my bills, I was reluctant to change and end up with an inept company and all the grief that entails.

What finally pushed me over to switching was SSE trying to threaten me with a "Smart" meter using the "under government legislation, we can inspect your meter and replace if necessary".

My existing meter is fine and was new in the early noughties and I know new meters are optional.

So to me this meant they'd bull they way into swapping out the meter to get their kick back, and I'd be left with another "just a meter" as we have poor mobile signal (we use WiFi Calling) and even SMETS2 are not fully compatible with all providers nor problem-free.

We are conscious of our energy usage and minimise where possible as I believe this is the most beneficial to the planet.

The new smets2 meters do not use a mobile signal, they use new govt installed WAN especially installed for smart meters.

The new smets2 meters do not use a mobile signal, they use new govt installed WAN especially installed for smart meters.

OK, so just the fact it isn't fully compatible with all providers yet.

I'm sure they will resolve that, and to be fair I can see we will have one... but not much use to us (as above) as we are conscious with energy usage anyway.

I was with First Utility when I moved into this house as it was the first company that fitted new gen Siemens FIT compatible smart meters. I switched away to Pure Planet for the better green deal and it was OK for the first year but then I started to have issues with feed in credits, at one point I was seriously out of pocket.

About 6 months ago I moved back to First Utility on an incentive after the debacle with PP, however First Utility became Shell Energy shortly thereafter and once again I have a problem getting my feed in credit from them. Bulb are a Voluntary licensee for FIT but apparently they cant process the data from my meter at this current time as I would have liked to give them a try, all solar feed in gets an extra credit from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom