OT: Siemens SL55 Mobile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Hi all,

there i was on the weekly shop when i thought id pop into phones4u to see what new nokias were out as my contracts gonna expire soon.....
So the guy goes, mate u dont want a nokia, theyre miles behind these days, have you seen the siemens sl55..

It looks quite cool (and it has a cool model number!!), has anyone got it????

I always stray away from nokia, and then wish i hadnt.... with non nokia phones i have trouble txting, putting it on silent, little things like no alarm, not vibrating & ringing at the same time and generally not intuitive setup of menus etc....

Anyone have any opinions...or should i wait for nokia to bring out something cool... (i have a 7210 now)

Jay

While the Siemens SL55 looks like a cool little phone, I'm usually put off anything that carries a Siemens Badge. During my last job I had to install and progam industrial automation equipment, usually PLC's (Programmable Logic Controllers) and fieldbus comms systems. Whilst the Siemens kit looks good on paper their service support was pants and the setup/programming of their kit idiosynchratic at best. I much prefered Allen Bradley kit. Hehe having said that, you're buying a phone not a PLC or touch screen etc. Didn't the sales person let you have a gander around a real SL55 to see what it was like? If you're waiting for a good Nokia phone then you could wait until the 6600 is released, it'll be running Symbian 7.0 OS and Series 60 version 2 GUI. I still enjoy using my 7650 so the 6600 looks like it'll be a cracker. Not sure when it's released though.

S.

I have some opinions.... they are probably biased though due to my current occupation ;) Do you have any particular "must have" features (eg. Camera, Bluetooth, Symbian etc...) might help to narrow it down a bit.

Re the SL55, I thought it felt a little too plasticky - looks good and nice size though.

I must confess that I too am quite taken with the SL55.

However, the one thing that puts me off it is the numberpad. Being a txt monster ad being used to the Nokia keys it would take absolutely ages to get used to the Siemens one. The keys are too close together and have funny points on them.

But other than that, it looks the dogs.

I too am looking for a new phone. Don't need pics or any of the fancy stuff.

Always fancied the Nokia 9210.

Dunno what to do really.

K

My mate works for o2 and i was gonna go for the sl55 but he said not to bother as it looks very nice but theyve had more of them come back for repair than any other phone.
went for the nokia 7250 in the end, i usually always go for the out of the norm phone (had motorola v70....crap) this is the first nokia ive had and well inpressed, little things like the speakerphone works really well and the camera quality is very good. Plus because there are so many nokias around ,if ever im at a mates and my battery gets low, chances are there will be a charger close by.

N gage

The nokia N - GAGE is a funky lookin tool. had a play on it at a local PS2 shop. Awsome graphics ( better games than a gameboy advance, easy to use. plus it's a nokia.
If you relly want a nice looking dependable phone I'd go for a NOKIA 8910i. BLACK TITANIUM CASING. MMMMMMMMM

FYI the SL55 is essentially a Nokia at heart as it uses the internal gubbins of the 6xxx series so it should have many similarities. Not having used one myself I'm not sure how much Siemens have mucked about with it though

Originally posted by Aswall
FYI the SL55 is essentially a Nokia at heart as it uses the internal gubbins of the 6xxx series so it should have many similarities. Not having used one myself I'm not sure how much Siemens have mucked about with it though
Not sure where you heard that m8, but having worked on development of the 6xxx series myself, I'm pretty sure there is no nokia technology in the siemens sl55... Maybe you are thinking of the "Series 60" UI, which we have licensed out to a number of other manufacturers?

The N-gage is a neat toy that will no doubt keep a lot of kids occupied at xmas, whether it can cut it as a decent phone...hmm I'm not so sure...

yeh i had a play today with the guys phone on the high street.... seems ok, but i reckon its not as intuitive as a nokia and id get frustrated after about 3 hours of owning it.....

Looking at the nokia website, there is still some cool stuff to come this year so ill wait a while...if not then its the 7250i...

Cheers alll

The screen on an SL55 is appalling, I'd go with a 7250i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom