OT: What is the largest 4 cylinder engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
I was wondering, what the largest CC 4 cylinder engine is you know of?

Everything I know 2.5L and above is 6 cylinder or more.

What do you know that is bigger than the MB 2.3?

Mercedes make a 2.5 litre 16v (as used in the second generation of the 190E cosworth)
Will

:) the largest 4 cylinder petrol engine of recent times is the 3 litre engine of the Porsche 944S2.

(I think) :cool:

Originally posted by ACK
:) the largest 4 cylinder petrol engine of recent times is the 3 litre engine of the Porsche 944S2.

(I think) :cool:

Yep

When the 2.7 944 was introduced it was the largest 4 banger ever to go into mass production in a road car . - therefore the later 3.0 must nick its crown.

Mark

In terms of cylinder sizes, I used to have a single cylinder 900cc motorcycle, a DR900. Now that *was* a big piston!

You could virtually feel each firing stroke as you pulled away :D

I used to drive a 7.3 Litre 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel producing 220HP at 2200rpm, with an 18 speed clutchless gearbox.................4wd tractor.

The one I have now has a 4.8 litre 4 cylinder producing 120hp at 2300rpm.

The biggest engine I have seen is a V12 Diesel engine in a Dormar generator, it just about fits in a 20ft lorry container, sounds sweet when it is running, my neighbours use it as a backup.

Originally posted by jimmy
The biggest engine I have seen is a V12 Diesel engine in a Dormar generator, it just about fits in a 20ft lorry container, sounds sweet when it is running, my neighbours use it as a backup.

:eek: what a good idea ... can't help thinking its overkill tho :D

Just typed "largest 4 cylinder" into Google and came up the "1907 Thomas Flyer" built in America having a 571.3 cubic inch displacement which converts to 9.2 litres!

Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom