OT: Wireless Networking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
IT Bods - please help ! (I know there are plenty of you on here!)

Any idea where the best place to obtain a cheap wireless router for my broadband + PCMCIA Wireless card for laptop is ?

Or does anybody have such a thing for sale ? I'm loathed to go down to PC World, and they all seem pretty pricey on eBay - I just want something really simple.

Cheers, S.

Ever tried Maplin? They can be cheap for stuff.

p.s. You might wan'na ignore my recommendations as I don't class myself as an I.T. Bod :p :D

S.

Last edited:
amazon and order the Linksys 54G wireless router...

Ive had my wired one for about 4 years .. AB FAB !!!

should be able to get a linksys card on there too:bannana:

insight.com or dabs.com are also good value and good service.

-Do you know what you want - and whether it will work with your set-up I think it does differ technically if you are with bt or a cable company

BT do a wireless networking/modem built in for about £150 - go to bt .com and look up networking -it may be an option as I don't think any of the other broadband suppliers support home networking and if it goes wrong they are just not interested.

click here for info about the BT Voyager
bt voyager link

Thanks all.

clegsr .... I have cable broadband at the moment, but moving soon and may have to go with BT - so ideally need something that will work with both !

Have no problems networking with additional LAN cards on my current set up - NTL seems to work no problem - don't know whether they would support it if I had problems though !

S.

People on here would support it tho ;)

/me offers tech support..... Cisco certified, blah, blah, blah.

I use Linksys at home and it works a treat. Very good value for money.

I am looking for wireless kit for my new office at the moment. there is a site called wireless4u.co.uk/com they appear to be quite cheap

tan

Thanks Andy - not bad prices there.

I picked up a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access point Router with 4 point switch for £57 this morning from Watford Electronics who seemed to be cheaper than everywhere else (and just happened to have the last one in stock at their Warehouse that was round the corner from me) - and 2 PCMCIA Airway cards off eBay for £35 all in !

WiFi here I go !

Hi all,

I already have a router (Alcatel speedtouch pro), now i need to set up a wireless thing so that other people in the house can use their laptops on my broadband. What do i need?

Ive seen a lot of wireless routers, but as i already have a normal one, is there a cheaper way to do it?

Cheers

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom