Other car Gearbox fault - any pointers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tmwsccsh

Car
1998 CL420, 1994 Ford Mustang Convertible
Afternoon all.

Bit of a disaster with my 2001 X-Type Auto yesterday...

Reversed off the drive in the morning, drove to work no problem at all, got to the car park, selected reverse and nothing - just revs. Turned off and on a few times - still nothing.

The selector is lighting up the R so that's a start and there is a noise / feeling / clunk from underneath when reverse is engaged (as usual) so it suggests something is happening, but then there is no movement at all.

Drive is fine and he works exactly as he should forwards.

So I suspect a solenoid but could be wrong.

There are no fault lights on the dashboard at the moment (gearbox fault or similar) although I have been getting "cruise not available" for 3-4 weeks when he's cold but that goes away after about 3 minutes of driving and cruise works fine when it says that anyway.

I did read on a posting somewhere that it could be that there is not enough transmission fluid in that is causing this but that could simply be a red herring.

In the first instance, anyone got any immediate suggestions as to a quick recovery from this? Wondering if pulling the battery for 30 minutes may reset something for example?

If not, I fear the local automatic gearbox place is going to be getting a visit shortly - I have contacted 3 in the local area but had no response yet. Did also try one in Luton but they just wanted to replace the box for £1,700 plus VAT. Hmmm....

Thanks in advance for any info - companies who may be able to help etc. North Hertfordshire area.

TMW

If you haven't sorted the problem, and I have no clue, then I can thoroughly recommend Suffolk Automatic Transmissions. Hundon nr Haverhill in Suffolk. 01440 786555.

They sorted my S Type back in 2012 very efficiently.

They collected and returned my car but Letchworth is about 45 miles away.

Good luck

Did you or a garage try and do a gearbox fluid change?
There's a bolt on these boxes that is sometimes undone by mistake.
It's the reverse pin. If it's been taken out the box has to come off for it to be engaged and refitted..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom