OTT Service Hospitality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spinaltap

Car
A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
Today, I had my annual Mercedes service in Birmingham (LSH Auto). In the past, the ‘Lounge’ service tier enabled complimentary access to their self-service drinks machine (cardboard cups) as one idled the hours away while the car was being attended to. This suited me fine.

Now, all that has gone. Instead of the self-serve Coffee Machine, there is now a dedicated ‘Waiter’ standing behind a bar who makes your drinks, served in appropriate crockery, alongside your choice of sliced cake or croissants. Once finished, your used crockery is promptly collected.

This change in customer service is, frankly, way OTT - even prententious. Let’s face it, you pay for it in your service bill. I prefer the former understated elegance of a true Mercedes’ owned dealership: not this American-style brashness.

Also, the sales representatives ‘ suits have disappeared in favour of ‘Petronas’ T-Shirts. That aire of confidence in the sales representative’s ability to personally look after you has subsequently gone. They effectively looked like someone working at a much lesser brand.

I’m certain others will completely disagree with my assessment of today’s experience, but I shall look elsewhere next year.

I totally agree with your first point. However, many customers will adore it and enjoy being pampers and feeling special.

MB Carlisle have dress down days were they wear 'Petronas' clothing. I rather like the look much better than the suited n booted look.

I always use MB Manchester now as they've treated me like a king. They give me fresh coffee in nice cups, and even when just dropping my car off for it's MOT, they've given me a lift to work too. I've never had an MOT service include a wash and vac either!

Today, I had my annual Mercedes service in Birmingham (LSH Auto). In the past, the ‘Lounge’ service tier enabled complimentary access to their self-service drinks machine (cardboard cups) as one idled the hours away while the car was being attended to. This suited me fine.

Now, all that has gone. Instead of the self-serve Coffee Machine, there is now a dedicated ‘Waiter’ standing behind a bar who makes your drinks, served in appropriate crockery, alongside your choice of sliced cake or croissants. Once finished, your used crockery is promptly collected.

This change in customer service is, frankly, way OTT - even prententious. Let’s face it, you pay for it in your service bill. I prefer the former understated elegance of a true Mercedes’ owned dealership: not this American-style brashness.

Also, the sales representatives ‘ suits have disappeared in favour of ‘Petronas’ T-Shirts. That aire of confidence in the sales representative’s ability to personally look after you has subsequently gone. They effectively looked like someone working at a much lesser brand.

I’m certain others will completely disagree with my assessment of today’s experience, but I shall look elsewhere next year.
My W204 had its previous services done by LSH Auto in Birmingham.

Based on your description, it seems the car must have been owned by some posh tot.... :)

The first time I have heard of someone complaining about customer service which was too good :)

Are people ever happy? :D

Both me and my wife both bought our mercedes from the local dealership, we have been told come back any time for a coffee and a chat and we have been back in twice and gotten coffee and biscuits :)

I really do not want to be negative on this clk320x (and I do think you make a very good point), but the personal service is being paid for by the customer, on the other hand, a job is being created, albeit likely at minimum wage for the employee (I cannot see that is bad in itself).

Are we the customer paying for a job for an individual taking up such a position?, most likely - yes, is the dealer making a profit from that job - I do not know, but if we the customer are prepared to pay for that service then there should be minimal cost to the customer or maximum benefit to the employee in terms of remuneration.

Yes, give the customer some\plenty of pampering, but it would 'sting' with me if that pampering resulted in profiteering by Mercedes Benz at actual additional expense to the customer.

Only Mercedes Benz will know the true cost, I trust\hope MB have a moral conscience in making available such a provision.

Similar story at Audi Bedford and Reading. Lots of money gone into those dealerships, although I understand the one adjacent the M4 going into London is quite something. Stories of underground floors housing owner accessible service bays etc. All very James Bond.

Where will it end?

~

I really do not want to be negative on this clk320x (and I do think you make a very good point), but the personal service is being paid for by the customer, on the other hand, a job is being created, albeit likely at minimum wage for the employee (I cannot see that is bad in itself).

Are we the customer paying for a job for an individual taking up such a position?, most likely - yes, is the dealer making a profit from that job - I do not know, but if we the customer are prepared to pay for that service then there should be minimal cost to the customer or maximum benefit to the employee in terms of remuneration.

Yes, give the customer some\plenty of pampering, but it would 'sting' with me if that pampering resulted in profiteering by Mercedes Benz at actual additional expense to the customer.

Only Mercedes Benz will know the true cost, I trust\hope MB have a moral conscience in making available such a provision.
On a positive note...

Let's say there's competition between MB dealers in the Birmingham area.

And let's say that their contract prevents them from selling their services below a certain price.

Now they can't compete on 'quality' because let's face it the customers do not have a clue what happens to their cars after the vehicle has been whisked-away and disappears into the large hangar that's the workshop, the only difference they can see is that car is returned hoovered and washed.

So the dealer principal decides to pay for a 'waiter' out of the dealership's profit.... and now everyone knows how good LHS Auto are. So it worked!

All in theory, of course.

The MOT garage has a KLIX machine (which I'd rather avoid) but the Merc dealer has a nice seating area with proper coffee, a big telly with the news channel and free wifi. One's hourly rate is about twice the other. I wonder why that is?

Cheers,

Gaz

A Lexus dealership near us used to (maybe still does) operate the showroom as a male crèche on a Saturday morning. Husbands could drop the missus off at a local retail park and then take their Lexus to the dealership for a free check and wash, free coffee and croissant, free newspaper. The rationale being that the sales team could chat with their customers which often led to new sales sooner or later. The cost of a car wash dude and a few cups of coffee etc. was a pittance for the exposure they got (according to the sales manager).

Our MB dealer has always treated us with respect, made us feel welcome and we have always received good customer service, including free coffee and somewhere comfortable sit in peace or chat with somebody, as appropriate. This treatment is one of the reasons we've had Mercedes cars for the last 12-years. The service staff and showroom floor staff wear black trousers/skirts and Petronas shirts. The sales and management staff seem to wear suits. All looks fine to me.

Mercedes Northampton used to have an excellent [self-service] coffee machine, where one could actually get a very decent ristretto - I loved it.

A couple of years ago, they moved to this staff-operated system and their new, much less sophisticated, coffee machine is now behind a counter ... no more ristretto, and espresso is just about tolerable. And now comes with a somewhat patronising "eX" ... cute girls though o_O

I've never had an MOT service include a wash and vac either!

The indie I used washed my car after its last MOT. I felt embarrassed they'd done it!

Merc dealer always used to wash it, even when I asked them not to!

The dealers (not just MB) have these mega facilities now because customer surveys say that's what people want. So it's our own fault!

MB Brooklands asked me if I wanted the car washed. I said no, and they didn't.

I guess it was a test and my reply classified me as 'one of them two-buckets car nutters' :)

I guess it was a test and my reply classified me as 'one of them two-buckets car nutters' :)

Waste of bloody time that is. Dirty sponge & plasterers bucket full of warm water with a dash fairy liquid is good enough. :p

Hospitality is becoming the trendy thing in the retail area apparently. Consumers need a "buying experience" according to the experts.:dk:

I forgot to tell them not to wash on my last service, they didn't ask me, it was a formality for them. I don't like the jet wash on the car. Often this is where you see those little faults creeping in e.g. humidity in the headlamps, electronic sensors start failing.

I had the folding roof open on the drive back home. When I got home, I couldn't close it. Eventually I discovered it was due to a wet sensor in the boot. Damn those jet washes!

MB Northampton repeatedly washed my car, even though I told them not to, even left a [nicely printed on A5 card] note in the car.
To make things worse, their car wash is an automatic rotating brushes horrid thing, absolutely filthy, with walls covered in mould - I had to do full disinfection routine after each "wash".

So, when the last Service Care plan expired, I switched the new 3-yr one to MB Milton Keynes. I hope they will listen - first service is due at the end of March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom