OTT Service Hospitality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wasn't there a post somewhere about them charging £20 for 'lounge services'? Perhaps this is to justify the charges.

You are correct! It is now £20 to lounge. Or it certainly is at the local dealer round here

I think having to pay £20 to 'use the lounge' is quite frankly ridiculous. Last time I used the lounge in an LSH Auto branch, the coffee machine was broken and the WiFi was dodgy at best. Theres no way I'd be paying £20 for that.

I wouldn't want to wait in some poxy garage any longer than absolutely necessary.

When I used the local dealer quite a lot I would just have them drop me off at the office and pick me up later, if this is no longer an option I'd just get the Mrs to do the same.

Maybe they don't want punters hanging about so have priced them out?

Don't want a buying experience in any way. I don't want the car covered in an sheet, I don't want a bottle of cheap piss-flavoured fizz. Here's the money, give me the keys, now **** off.

Last time our car was serviced at Carlisle I sat in waiting area with a coffee. Jeramy Kyle was on the TV. I had to cover my eyes and shout for help. :confused:

Was that the one where I'd been wrongly accused of stealing things off my fit 22 year old neighbours washing Line?

When I did the lie detector test, I nearly sh!t her pants.

It has been many years since I used a main dealer for anything other than buying parts.

When I did take my cars into Western Automobile Co in Edinburgh, the service reception was down the ramp and round the back of the garage, beside the workshops ; parts counter in another door .

There was no fancy waiting area , no coffee , nothing like that . What they did have was a very efficient lady who listened to what you said about your car , knew a good bit about cars and could offer good advice on her own . Arrangements were always spot on and if booked in your car was seen to when they said it would be .

If you had any technical queries, or there were problems with your car , the workshop foreman was always available to talk with you , and you could go into the workshops to see your car being worked on and shown any problems; you could also chat to the mechanic who was working on it and be shown any parts which had been replaced .

I’d rather have good , dependable service from people who know what they are doing and can be trusted than a glitzy front shop and who knows what going on out of your sight .

We generally dropped cars off the day before a service and waited for a call to say it was ready ; sometimes there were courtesy cars ( usually VW aircooled Beetles ) which were perfectly fine to get around in for a day or so , and we actually ended up running them as second cars - again bills not inflated by the cost of extravagant loan cars , all very sensible .

These days , there are few people I’d trust to work on my cars - hence the 190 is up on ramps outside awaiting a new diff - and if I want to know the jobs done right , I do it myself ...

I once went to collect my car after the usual 1 hour MOT slot at a main dealer glass palace showroom. It wasn't ready and the receptionist told me
"it's still up on the ramps but won't be long". I'd just walked past it in the carpark and they hadn't even started yet. Being lied to guaranteed I never went back. Give me a back street garage without the frills any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom