Ouch! Clipped wing mirror :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weebobster

Car
C220 cdi
Picture the scene..

I am driving down a narrow countrylane when I spot an oncoming car. I slow right down to a virtual standstill and am tight into the nearside. The car is going at some speed so I sound my horn. I can only but look on as I hear the crack of clipped wing mirrors and watch the glass fall out. I spot that the car has actually stopped further on up the road so I get out to talk to the driver. As I bend down to talk through the now open drivers window I note the driver to be a mum with infant child still asleep in the back and another lady (probably her mum) in the front passenger seat. Imagine my disbelief when the first remark to me is an angry "can you not stay on your own side of the road" from the passenger followed up with a quick "he must pay more road tax remark" to the driver who then starts telling me that it was all my fault!!! I notice that their car is an old banger and that their wing mirror is undamaged (there is no justice!!).

After I point out that their speed was inappropriate for the road and that I was at a virtual standstill tight onto the nearside of the road they (or at least the driver) started to calm down. She told me to get a quote and she would pay for the damage.

I phoned the local dealer who want to see the car tomorrow. A guesstamate is in the region of £120. I telephoned the driver who now says they will have to speak to their husband.

Im just glad that the bill is as little as £120. The glass had fallen out but hadnt broken. The only damage appears to be the white perspex and one LED. Add 30 minutes labour and you have £120.

Sorry for all the typing but its theraputic

:crazy:

As you say... there is no justice in this world
plain.gif

Reminds me of an incident about a week ago. Driving down a narrow street and a large lorry is stopped on the other side of the road offloading contents blocking on coming traffic.

As I was parallel with the middle of the lorry an oncoming car pulls out now we are in the situation of not enough room to pass one another :rolleyes: and she refuses to reverse back onto her side of the road to let me pass but instead elects to try and creep forwards gingerly thinking that this would somehow bend the space in 3 dimensions to make enough room. I decided to reverse back since I didn't fancy a red paintjob on my car and pull my car fully onto the pavement, luckily there were no pedestrians. She passes smiling and waving :rolleyes:

Some people have no f**kin' idea, really no clue at all. :mad:

I think you'll find her husband won't agree to the cost of your repair, since it was all probably your fault for not bailing into a ditch.

S.

Last edited:
£120 is not bad. Our mirrors are a Fortune.

Sorry to hear about this dude .. i know how crappy this is after having to replace two complete mirror assemblies out my own pocket. One being a folding , dimmming blinking one :crazy:

Foldig mirrors,look so cool AND save you dosh.(youve got to practice finding the button under1/10 sec while steering through a feeler-gauge-job gap `though)

If it is just the perspex repeater flasher, the whole bit with LEDs is about £10.00.

The part is spring clipped into place and is a simple DIY job.

How do I know this ? A passing car clipped my wing mirror too :)

Originally posted by Steve_Perry

Some people have no f**kin' idea, really no clue at all. :mad:

S.

As traffic levels rise the ME FIRST attitude escalates, and if YOU
give way to others the person behind gets irate.
You can't win.

The real cost of door mirrors must have come down as I can remember paying £120 for a driver's door mirror for my W114 280E back in about 1978 after returning to a car park to find it broken . (They were made of metal n those days , so whoever clipped it must have suffered some damage :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom