Ouch !! I think they got me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kikkthecat

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
Well it would have been 30 years in January since my last motoring conviction but I'm sure this morning I fell foul of a camera van.

I dont want sympathy as I certainly wouldn't offer it to anyone else, just letting you all know I think I've been nabbed.

The Bradford ring road has just had 4 new truvelo's installed about a month ago and I was well aware of both the limit and the cameras. However about 60 yards after the limit changes from 40 to 30 and about 200 yards from the first camera was a sneaky van hidden by a bus shelter. I'd taken my foot off and was slowing down but still had the limiter set at 40. When I saw the van my speedo was reading 36 and my sat nav was showing 34 Mph. I braked but this nice pleasant bobby just shook his head and I'm sure he mouthed the words "too late"
I always said they were out to get me and although I'll have to wait and see what the postman brings, I believe, at last they have

As we say in Yorkshire.... C'est La Vie :(

A plod in a speed van??? That seems to be unusual - I'm sure it's normally a 'civvy'!! Sure it was???

I wouldn't worry too much - just give yourself a good kick if you're unlucky enough to get a ticket! Not bad in 30 years though....

Well it would have been 30 years in January since my last motoring conviction but I'm sure this morning I fell foul of a camera van.

I dont want sympathy as I certainly wouldn't offer it to anyone else, just letting you all know I think I've been nabbed.

The Bradford ring road has just had 4 new truvelo's installed about a month ago and I was well aware of both the limit and the cameras. However about 60 yards after the limit changes from 40 to 30 and about 200 yards from the first camera was a sneaky van hidden by a bus shelter. I'd taken my foot off and was slowing down but still had the limiter set at 40. When I saw the van my speedo was reading 36 and my sat nav was showing 34 Mph. I braked but this nice pleasant bobby just shook his head and I'm sure he mouthed the words "too late"
I always said they were out to get me and although I'll have to wait and see what the postman brings, I believe, at last they have

As we say in Yorkshire.... C'est La Vie :(

just to make you feel better , i wasnt even born the last time you got a conviction :D

10 percent plus two is a guideline amount, that would be about 35. So if you're GPS speed was 34, 36 on the speedo, I'd say that you'll be very close and possibly on the unlucky side to get 'done'.

Obviously '30 means 30' but 34 isn't that unreasonable.

No point worrying about it, wait a couple of weeks and see what happens :)

Will

I was done by a van for 33mph and consequently ended up in court:eek:

and swmbo got a ticket for 46 in a 40 limit....this was an A road that has this limit for about a mile, there was no other traffic and road conditions were good. Of course they are tax collectors.

Stockton on Tees February '03.
Guilty of doing 33 mph 3 points.......Exceptional Hardship found and kept my licence.
Walked out of court with 6 points still active on it:rolleyes:

I can assure you that wont happen to me. I'm offering no excuses and know full well it was my own stupid fault.
I wont be contesting it if I get a NIP. I'll just stump up like the majority and feel annoyed that the system is simply geared up to take as much money as possible from the motorist.

Any other (non motoring) minor offence would earn me a caution or a warning, I believe I could burgle a house and for a first offence get less of a penalty and that is what annoys me so much.

I find it annoying that there are areas that don't follow the ACPO guidelines and that there is no guide to which areas do and which don't. I have noticed that areas that do tend to publicise it and areas that don't don't. But I've also found mixed following of the guidelines within areas, with zero tolerance for 30 mph areas and the 10% plus two guideline folowed at other speeds. It would be nice to have a level playing field. As the example that started this thread shows, the recorded speed can vary between the vehicle's speedometer and another device in the same car.

I'm offering no excuses and know full well it was my own stupid fault.
I wont be contesting it if I get a NIP. I'll just stump up like the majority and feel annoyed that the system is simply geared up to take as much money as possible from the motorist.
I'm one of those people who believes that I should take responsibility for my own actions - probably just like you. However, and although this bends my personal moral code somewhat, I would always look for any defect in the (s)camera partnership's case that would allow me to escape a "justice by post" penalty for speeding.

The system can only work the way it does because most people "roll over". It's got nothing to do with justice, and any opportunity to disrupt the process should be taken, imo.

well everyone is looking for money(sorry making the roads safer:rolleyes: ) in this credit crunch, My bank has been owing me £10 for almost a month now and when i complained they said, sorry it was a system error. Bet if i owe them i would have been threatened with court by now.

Just be careful out there and put it down to experience. and do not forget a burglar has not got £60 to pay a fine or else he will not be doing burglary.
Any reason why the road goes from 40 to 30 and then a van as soon as it changes?

Any other (non motoring) minor offence would earn me a caution or a warning, I believe I could burgle a house and for a first offence get less of a penalty and that is what annoys me so much.

up to a third offence in most cases and in at least one case in the north west last year a 49th offence

I'm one of those people who believes that I should take responsibility for my own actions - probably just like you. However, and although this bends my personal moral code somewhat, I would always look for any defect in the (s)camera partnership's case that would allow me to escape a "justice by post" penalty for speeding.

The system can only work the way it does because most people "roll over". It's got nothing to do with justice, and any opportunity to disrupt the process should be taken, imo.

Even after admission of speeding on here:D :D

I find this interesting as the odometer in my car is not accurate enough to display +/- 2 mph....it is in an indication (not being digital).

33 mph in a 30 is a little strong.

I was caught at 38mph and felt a bit peeved. 33 I'd be livid.

That was what was on the paperwork when it came through, I couldnt believe it. cost me the best part of £1000 to sort out with solicitor and fine but better than being in Rural Northumberland for six months without a car:crazy:

Given the location of the camera, that screams piggy bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom