Oulton Park Trackday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flamez

Car
SLK 200 Kompressor
Hi guys

I have had my SLK 200K for about a month now and managed to blag a trackday with the BMW Owners Club at Oulton Park on Wed.

Although a little apprehensive with some of the high powered machinery there, I thought the SLK held its head up high.

Road holding and braking were excellent with very little body roll noticed. The car does have the sports pack with 18" wheels and uprated front drilled brakes. The tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport and performed excellently. The let down [but it was expected] was lack of power [yes I know its only a 1.8] and against other 1.8's it kept with the pack. It has auto box with manual paddles but on full revs changed up anyway. The esp worked well and kept the car on the black stuff during the afternoon rain.

I know the SLK isn't a track orientated vehicle but it performed well and gave me the confidence of pushing the car on the road and knowing its limits.

Sorry there are no on-board shots but suction mounts aren't allowed at Oulton :dk:

All in all a great day out.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

No, I took a chance and drove sensibly and within mine and the cars limits. It was an organised club event so not to many chavs on track to worry you.

However, 3 bmws hit the barriers all expensive and 1 probably a write off. I wont track the slk again but will use my 7 type car instead. Easier to repair and not as costly.

There is track insurance out there if you want to pay. My friends Cayman is in the region of £100 per day i think, but only with Porsche car club events.

Mine certainly isn't track orientated, but I want to go and have some fun, I will be well within my limits though, I just worry about the others. The day is billed as Top Marques and limited to cars worth over £10.5k, which doesn't limit it much!

Just take it easy, there are usually plenty of gaps on track for you to enjoy

So do many of you track your cars and if so how does it compare to other cars.

I can't say I've ever seen an SLK on the track but I'm think of one as a replacement for my Lotus, which I do put on track. The only thing holding me back is the loss of a track toy.

Any tips, advice, comments gratefully received.

Katrina

I've often dreampt of going on a track day, but probably wouldn't have the drive to take my own car (on which I rely for daily transport).

Maybe one day I'll pay for hire of a car as well.

What's the most unlikely car that anybody's seen on a track day?

I've often dreampt of going on a track day, but probably wouldn't have the drive to take my own car (on which I rely for daily transport).

Maybe one day I'll pay for hire of a car as well.

What's the most unlikely car that anybody's seen on a track day?

Ice-cream Van. Nurburgring.
Keeping up with Polos and Puntos which was hilarious.

Ice-cream Van. Nurburgring.
Keeping up with Polos and Puntos which was hilarious.

Haha - I took a Ford Transit Camper Van round there in 1967 :) Cost DM2 per lap :)

It was a riot - four of us in it - two in the front and two sat on the sofa in the back !!

It was hilarious going round the Karussel - I thought the thing was going to tip over :)

And yes - we did overtake one car - a Citroen 2CV !!!

I can't say I've ever seen an SLK on the track but I'm think of one as a replacement for my Lotus, which I do put on track. The only thing holding me back is the loss of a track toy.

Katrina

Maybe get the SLK and buy a cheap stripped out track car, like the Mazda MX5. You wont have to buy insurance and parts are cheap to replace and the engine is strong.

I've just remembered that transit van that Top Gear took around the nurburgring with that woman at the wheel. That was impressive.

Maybe get the SLK and buy a cheap stripped out track car, like the Mazda MX5. You wont have to buy insurance and parts are cheap to replace and the engine is strong.
I don't have room on the drive for a second car so my lotus was a daily drive and my track toy. If I replace it, it would be nice to get something to play with. However, I don't think many SLK's make it to the track and having driven a SLK 350 today I understand why. Nice car, and I my well get one but not a track toy.

Katrina

Justwatched Sabine in the Tranny again - amazing. It's here: Sabine in a van 2 - BBC Top Gear

Lost count of how many times Hamster said "I'm scared".

My favourite quote from Sabine, "OO oversteer and understeer and everyzing".

I don't have room on the drive for a second car so my lotus was a daily drive and my track toy. If I replace it, it would be nice to get something to play with. However, I don't think many SLK's make it to the track and having driven a SLK 350 today I understand why. Nice car, and I my well get one but not a track toy.

Katrina

In my opinion, and i've owned both, the bmw z4 is abetter all round car for road and track

Katrina

CLK is what you want (see left) :D
Well, maybe not, but it's certainly different to the MX-5 I used to track. I would think an SLK can be pretty good - might just need a bit more coaxing round. Get one with a big engine and leave lots of black lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom