Our SLK55 French Odyssey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
We did a few touring holidays in Angie’s previous R171 SLK350 (to France, Spain, Germany, and Italy), so we thought it would be nice to do a road trip this year in her new R172 SLK55. As on previous trips I did all the driving, so it gave me a great chance to get to know her new car and to compare it with her previous SLK350.

We planned three main stops (Cahors in the Lot Valley, La Ciotat on the south coast, and Beaune in Burgundy) plus transit stops on the way out in Chartres and on the way back in Arras. Due to the distances involved, much of the driving between locations was on Autoroutes, but I did include some stretches on more interesting N and D-Roads where it made sense to do so, or if it gave us an opportunity to take a look at something we wanted to see en-route. I planned the more interesting routes using Garmin’s BaseCamp (I also have a Garmin GPSR that I use when motorcycle touring) and used Malcolm Bryant’s excellent converter program (www.freepoc.org/download/Routes106.zip) to turn them into Route files that can be read by COMAND, but for the simple bits (e.g. Eurotunnel Terminal to Chartres) I just punched in the destination POI in COMAND and let it route us there.

If you’ve travelled in France on Autoroutes you’ll be familiar with the need to collect a ticket at the entry Péage Station and to submit it complete with payment at an exit Péage Station at some point later. What isn’t perhaps so obvious is that when you’re sat low down in a roadster like an SLK it can be a real pain in the rear for the passenger (the booths are always on the left) struggling to lean out the window and reach high enough up to either collect the ticket or to put it and your credit card into one of the payment machines. In fact, over the years Angie has come to hate the rigmarole this entails so when I suggested getting a SANEF Toll Tag for the trip she jumped at the idea. I used the Eurotunnel offer to apply for a tag which waives the initial fee, and we received it a few weeks before we left. All the billing is done through SANEF’s UK operation, and while you can argue that you pay a premium for that luxury, frankly its small beer in the overall cost scheme of things. Once you receive the tag all you have to do is activate it online (easy) and mount it on the windscreen in the car. I did a fair degree of web research on where best to mount the thing because the standard SANEF suggestion of mounting it on the shaded section of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror isn’t applicable to current Mercedes models (like the SLK55) with cameras and other sensors in that area. The SLK55 also has various antenna strips in the screen itself, so that was another consideration. After a good deal of searching I picked up a post on a Volvo forum that suggested mounting on the cover over the electronics behind the mirror worked OK, so that’s what I did. Here are a couple of photo’s showing it in position in the car:

Apart from the mounting location being very discrete from within the car, it has the advantage that the tag isn’t easily visible from outside it either. This is relevant because the advice is normally to remove the tag when you park up – especially in Autoroute service areas – as the low-life’s will happily smash a window to nick the tag so they can get a few free Autoroute journeys before it’s cancelled. I was slightly concerned that all the mounting instructions show the tag mounted the other way up (note the upside down “kapsch” logo in my photos) but if I’d mounted it the “right” way up, I could never have slid it off its mount to remove it from the car. Our first encounter with a Télépéage terminal on the trip was a little nervous because I didn’t know if having the tag upside down and behind a load of electronics was going to inhibit it working, but my fears were unfounded: as we approached the barrier, the tag beeped and the barrier lifted. Success!

In addition to the convenience factor that the tag provides, it also caused us a good deal of amusement seeing French drivers eyeing us suspiciously as we headed to the Télépéage-only lanes at the Péage stations. You could almost hear them saying, “Regardez le Rosbif stupide dans la voie Télépéage! Je vais le suivre de près afin de maximiser son embarras quand il doit entreprendre le reverse of shame. Hee-haw, hee-haw, hee-haw!”, followed by a loud exclamation of “Merde!” when the barrier lifted :D

As is normal for our continental jaunts, we took advantage of our Tesco Clubcard vouchers to fund a free return crossing on Eurotunnel. I must say that the while the service is generally fast and convenient, the last few times we’ve used it there have been cancelled trains and service delays “due to a technical issue with an earlier train” which would suggest that the rolling stock is becoming less reliable as it ages. Certainly the inside of the carriages is starting to look decidedly tatty in places, so maybe it’s time they looked at a refurb program? This trip was no exception, and while we managed to get out on time, our return train was 90-minutes late. Something worth mentioning is that if you have a wide-track car running low profile tyres, it’s very easy to lose concentration while driving through the carriages and kiss the upstands at each side of the lane with a wheel, damaging a rim. I know that some people deliberately book their car as higher and wider than it is so that they’re put on one of the wider commercial vehicle carriages, but I didn’t bother. Here’s a photo of the SLK pretty much centralised in the carriage lane to give you an idea of the precision required:

To be continued…

Looking forward to it, would be funny if we were both in Beaune on the same day, September 5/6 for us this year.

Edit:
Now that I have read your post in more detail I can see that you stopped in Arras as did we for the night of the 4th.

Looking forward to it, would be funny if we were both in Beaune on the same day, September 5/6 for us this year.

Edit:
Now that I have read your post in more detail I can see that you stopped in Arras as did we for the night of the 4th.
We were running the other way around to you - Chartres on the September 4th, Beaune 14th/15th, and Arras on the 16th.

Another pointer for Eurotunnel with low front clearance cars (like your SLK and my 968) is to refuse to go upstairs - when the guide person tries to signal you into that part of the train, just wind the window down and explain "low front clearance, downstairs please"!! I don't have that problem with the s204, but I've heard a few graunching noises from other cars!!

We were running the other way around to you - Chartres on the September 4th, Beaune 14th/15th, and Arras on the 16th.

We took the easy option and came back via San Sebastian then Santander overnight ferry to Portsmouth saving 900 miles!

We took the easy option and came back via San Sebastian then Santander overnight ferry to Portsmouth saving 900 miles!
We've done that before too. It makes for a relaxing return journey, but this time I fancied driving...

Another pointer for Eurotunnel with low front clearance cars (like your SLK and my 968) is to refuse to go upstairs
We did actually go upstairs on the way back and my experience with the last SLK suggested that clearance on the ramps wouldn't be a problem and we were OK. It's a bit unnerving at the top of the ramp into the carriage though when you're sat low down in a car with a long bonnet such as in the SLK: the whole carriage disappears from view!

I guess it must be like trying to land a Pitts Special, about which a pilot friend of mine once told me, "On a normal single engine 'plane, the runway disappears from view as you come in to land. On the Pitts, the airfield disappears from view!"

:D

Our drive down to Chartres for the first night was uneventful, but we set off the next morning for Cahors in light drizzle :(

This was a day predominately on the Autoroute as we wanted to get to Cahors by mid-afternoon to give us an opportunity to clean up and take a look around, so the dull start to the day wasn’t really a problem – especially since the forecast for our destination was good.

One thing about spending time on boring motorways is that it gives you a chance to think about other things – like the car you’re in. Now, in the past we’d found that the R171 SLK350 actually made a very competent “mini Grand Tourer”. Even with the boot separator closed, if you use appropriate luggage and don’t pack everything in your wardrobe, there’s plenty of room for all two people need in the way of clothing for a two- or three-week tour when staying in hotels. Obviously if you were camping it would be a different story, but we don’t, so it’s not a problem for us. The car was comfortable enough to spend all day in and the metal roof means you can be in an open roadster or a mini-coupé as the fancy and need takes you. It also had a reasonable range so you didn’t need to stop every five minutes for fuel. So how does the R172 SLK55 compare? Very well, is the simple answer.

The more complex version is that it is a much better motorway car than the R171 350. Motorways may not be the obvious first choice location for a roadster, but the reality is that if you’re touring then you’re likely to be spending time on motorways getting to where the good stuff is, so it’s important. The 350 had the Sport Pack (including 18-inch wheels) on it while the 55 doesn’t, but the ride quality on the 55 is miles better. Combine that with more comfortable, more supportive seats and a significantly quieter cabin (tyre roar was much louder on the 350) and the overall experience is much more relaxed when you have big miles to cover in a day. The general ambiance of the cabin on the R172 is a significant notch up from that in the R171 anyway, and the COMAND screen being mounted higher up but slightly inset under the top roll of the dash makes it easier to quickly glance at, and much easier to read in strong sun when the roof’s down. The only thing I can say was definitely better about the R171 cabin was that the cup holders were mounted high up in front of the centre face vents which meant that it would keep a cold drink cold. By contrast the centre console location of the cup holders in the R172 means that with the roof open anything in there is in full sun, and your nice cold bottle of water you started out with rapidly becomes warm enough to wash in but very unpleasant to drink.

The R172 SLK55 has the trick cylinder shut-off technology that means it shuts down 4 of the 8 cylinders when under light load conditions. Driving in the UK I had been very impressed with the seamless nature with which it switched from 8 to 4 or 4 to 8 cylinder operation, with the only real giveaway being a slight change in exhaust note. On the billiard-table smooth motorway surfaces in France it was still a seamless switch from 8 to 4 cylinder operation, but the switch from 4 back to 8 cylinder operation was just perceptible through the driveline. Still very impressive, and never intrusive, but it shows how our carp road surfaces in the UK can actually mask things that are detectable elsewhere. On cruise at 130kph I was surprised at how much of an upward gradient was needed for the car to switch to 8 cylinder operation, and running with half the cylinders shut off certainly has a big effect on fuel economy.

We did the last few miles into Cahors on the D820 which offered some fast flowing bends, and arrived at our hotel in 30-degree sunshine. Lovely. We stayed in the brand new Best Western Plus Hotel Divona which is situated alongside the river Lot, right next to the 14th-Century six-span fortified stone arch Pont Valentré which has become a symbol of the town. All the rooms at the hotel overlook the river and the bridge, and there’s secure garage parking under the hotel. Here’s a view of the bridge from the terrace where we took breakfast each morning:

And a more traditional shot from the other side of the bridge:

Cahors sits in a large “U” bend on the river and the old centre of the town is about a 15-minute walk from the hotel. The next day we had a lazy time wandering around the town and took the opportunity to visit the Musée de la Résistance which is small, arranged on three floors, and well worth a couple of hours. Entry is free, but you can make a cash donation if you wish. Each floor has two rooms named after different heroes of the French Resistance Movement and is packed with artefacts and narrative panels (in French only). I confess that I wasn’t aware of the multiple massacres carried out by elements of the Nazi “Das Reich” division during their brutal repression of the local population during May to August 1944 which explained the presence of the many memorials we’d seen dotted around the countryside until I visited the little museum. On the second floor, the room focussed on deportées was dedicated to Hélène Metges who had run the Café du Midi which was used as a meeting place for the Resistance of Cahors. She died at Ravensbrück which was a stark reminder that Cahors was no Nouvion and that this period had been no episode of ’Allo, ’Allo for the residents of the town.

Another day and another theme. We decided to take a drive along the Lot to take a look at the mediaeval village of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie which is perched some three-hundred feet above the river and is purported to be one of the most beautiful villages in France. Here’s a view from the D8 as you climb up to the village:

It certainly is pretty, the downside of which is people, everywhere! Maybe we should have made a bit more effort but everywhere we looked there was another coachload of visitors so we headed through it and continued back along the D40 so we could cross the river and head further east along the northern bank. Here’s a view of the river from the D40:

We continued our really pleasant top-down drive on some lovely D-roads to the 13th-Century fortified town of Cordes-sur-Ciel. By the time we arrived, the sun was fully overhead, the temperature readout on the dash said it was 36.5°c and life was much more comfortable with the roof up and the air-con running!

As the upper part of the town inside the walls is closed to traffic we parked up and decided to take a walk up to the top to admire the views. To say that the climb up is long and steep is something of an understatement. Add in mid-30 Celsius ambient temperature, strong sun, and a somewhat overweight mid-50 year-old body and it becomes a bit of a challenge. What I didn’t realise was that I was actually going down with a 24-hour vomiting bug too, so when I started to feel really poorly on the way up I really did wonder if I was about to expire :fail

However, after a 10-minute sit down in the shade I managed to get to the top of the town and enjoy not just the views, but also a massively overpriced bottle of Perrier at a bar in the square. Don’t you just love the French?

Here’s a photo of the Porte d’Horloge, a gateway through the inner wall, less than half way up the climb:

Yup, it really is that steep!

That night the vomiting bug made its presence abundantly clear, and the primary cause of the troubles I’d encountered climbing up to Cordes-sur-Ciel became rather more obvious. Maybe I wouldn’t be expiring after all :bannana:

To be continued…

Looks like fun Phil, it's surprising what you can stuff into a 2 seater if you've a mind to. Our last "European tour" was in 2012, I had the choice of the SLK or a 17 year old Fiat with no breakdown cover (no one would touch it as it was over 15). Guess which one I took? :)

c6000aa7.jpg

Actually it ran like a swiss watch, 12 border crossings and 2800 miles in 12 days. And although I wasn't hanging about, it also turned in 41 MPG - I can't see the SLK managing that.

Beautiful blue skies in the photos BTW.. please post more! I hate this time of year when the skies turn grey and the nights draw in..

Cheers,

Gaz

Less is so often more

Just love touring threads :thumb:. Keep the pics coming Phil.

Just a thought...would keeping the Sanef in the glovebox and simply presenting it from the window at tolls work?

I would absolutely love to do this in our SL, unfortunately Mrs Red's wheelchair consumes most of the bootspace so we'd be living in the clothes we stood up in and some spare pants!

Still, her walking is progressing so maybe in the not too distant future we'll get a chance.

Great write up Phil this is a really interesting read.

Beautiful scenery and I imagine that the SLK is the ideal size for this sort of trip. I always book the High load on Eurotunnel as the standard car carriages especially around the toilets are poorly designed for wide track cars :thumb:

Forgotten how to upload photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grrr, you've left us hanging in the air now. Do you die in agony of a bug or survive the night. Talk about hanging on for the next instalment!

Just a thought...would keeping the Sanef in the glovebox and simply presenting it from the window at tolls work?
Yes it would, and I read a post on another forum where someone was doing exactly that. Apparently, at one toll booth his passenger had forgotten to get the tag of out the glovebox to hold it up to the window but it still worked. I don't think I'd rely on that though!

Phil gave me permission to upload a few of my photos from our very similar trip of a couple of weeks ago.

Top parking Monsieur!
IMG_20160905_093047182.jpg.html

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/lewyboy1/media/IMG_20160905_093047182.jpg.html
My Birthday beer in Beaune
IMG_20160905_180102568.jpg.html

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/lewyboy1/media/IMG_20160905_180102568.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8
Hams hanging up in a Pintxo bar in San Sebastian
IMG_20160911_171359842.jpg.html

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/lewyboy1/media/IMG_20160911_171359842.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5
If Charles Morgan zooms in on the car in the distance he may enjoy this one
IMG_20160912_140335474_BURST002.jpg.html

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/lewyboy1/media/IMG_20160912_140335474_BURST002.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Last edited by a moderator:
Europe trip

We have recently returned from our trip through France to the paradors and back via Andorra

New SL and running in but still got 31mpg over 2000 miles. The sanef to tag works really well and we even tried the no stop lane at 30 kph...nervous first time but works a treat!

Targeted by the gendarmes for a minor infraction going over a white line for 90 e but who can argue with 4 armed men?

Like Phil we had the roof up at midday as the sun was very strong and over 35c
Can recommend the Pyrenees for wonderful scenery and good roads. Unlike Phil we didn't use any autoroute apart from 2 brief stretches by putting command into no toll no motorway choice .we did 2000 miles in 8 days like this and still got to our hotel by 4 pm for a swim and beer!

As we travelled to Cherbourg by ferry from Poole I recommend Richelieu for a first stopThe hotel is in the town square and is very picturesque

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom