Our SLK55 French Odyssey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Bryan, it was a good trip and I enjoyed sharing it. I hope you enjoy your SLK55 trip to Italia :thumb:

The last time I did a similar trip was in the R171 and I am certainly looking forward to cracking on in the R172 :)
Just thought to add that the absence of a spare wheel on the R172 means that there's useful luggage space under the removable boot floor panel. We found it was a great place to put the dirty laundry so we didn't have to lug it into the hotel at the next stop :D

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the R172 vs. the R171 when you get back. There's nothing like driving a car all day, day after day, to get a better feel for its strengths and weaknesses.

Just thought to add that the absence of a spare wheel on the R172 means that there's useful luggage space under the removable boot floor panel. We found it was a great place to put the dirty laundry so we didn't have to lug it into the hotel at the next stop :D

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the R172 vs. the R171 when you get back. There's nothing like driving a car all day, day after day, to get a better feel for its strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, I have used that space a few times to hide some of my cameras and lenses when on a job - not many people tend to look under the floor when doing a high speed opportunist heist :)

The longest run in the R171 was a solo blast from Fussen up through to Guildford in a day - 708 miles stopping every two hours for 10 minutes for a coffee etc. Towards the end of the run, and with time in hand before the Euro-tunnel, I revised the rest stop frequency to 10 minutes every hour. Arrived back remarkably fresh and relaxed. The day was typical of those journeys - some high speed 140+ mph runs on clear autobahns and a lot of 85-100mph travel. Then a fair bit of rush hour stop-start on the bits past the major cities. But the R171 handled it all with ease, complete with all luggage etc necessary for a three week trip.

Hopefully the R172 will be similarly accomplished. :)

Anyone planning their 2017 trip to Europe yet?

I fancy going east into Germany ,Austria etc. We did a trip to the Alpenstrasse in 2015 and the roads were wonderful

Yes, I'm in Europe (Mons, Belgium) and can't wait to drive around more of it when I get my new car in March. Its not a proper coupé, which was my first choice, but my dear wife absolutely insisted on the same number of doors as seats! There is logic behind it (no getting out to let people in or getting shuffled to the rear seats), but it did mean that the options came down to a wonderful choice between an SL400 or S350d.
We are planning on a few trips, including Portugal (the Douro, Guimarães, Porto, Aveira, Coimbra, Lisbon, Rabies), Italy (Umbria, Tuscany), Germany's black forest area + Switzerland and Slovenia+Austria. Looping round France again too.

Planning our next trip, probably in July, and it's between the castles rd in Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Road?wprov=sfla1

And the Scottish 500. My birthday present today was the curves book of Scotland with full 500 map and pics.....Looks nice

It rather depends on the £:euro situation. I suspect the German hotel and food price will be better as there will be more choice of where to stay

Anyone done either of these two tours?

Done the north coast 500 last May.
Started in Inverness and headed west, then up the west coast and east across the top. Last leg from John o Groats back to inverness not as scenic as the west & north coasts
Thoroughly enjoyed it though, good weather & had the top down for at least part of the time on all 5 days

edit:-
Thinking of doing a similar tour of Devon & Cornwall - all suggestions of route & places to see appreciated:thumb:

Having spent some years in Devon here goes for my suggestion for a tour

M5 J23 at Bridgewater and take A39 north devon rd to Wattchet,and Dunster. ( NT Village ,nice castle). On to Minehead and take a train journey on the N somerset steam railway.
On to Porlock and Porlock hill and Ilfracomble ( just so you can decide for yourself how disgusting the Damien Hurst sculpture is!)
Woolacombe and the Watersmeet Hotel for lunch

Croyde and the magnificent art deco Saunton Sands Hotel to look out over the magnificent Saunton sands with possible Royal Marine landing practice!
Then through Barnstaple and back onto the A39 towards Bideford which is worth a walk around the Pannier Market area if you like antiques. If you have the time its worth going to Instow and taking the ferry across to Appledore where they held the world crab catching championships.
Next Westward Ho! another great Fish n chips place.

Back on the A39 atlantic Highway to Bude dude,and on to Padstow and St Ives
Now its along the south coast A394 to the Lizard,Helford,Falmouth,Fowey and Plymouth where you can visit the Plymouth Gin Distilery and take a boat trip up thr Tamar through the Naval Dockyards.
On to Totnes and park the car and take a trip down the river Dart to Dartmouth. onto the Steam train to Paignton, and then bus back to Totnes. You can get a round robin ticket
Next Torquay, park at the Marina car park and take a boat trip across to Brixham for another great Fish n chips!
Now to Exeter and park at the Quay car park and walk to the Cathedral green and Exeter Catherdral
Back on the M5 to home

You can do a round trip as above staying in various different places or pick somewhere like Plymouth as a centre and do day trips out

Its about 10 hrs driving time and 350 miles...add on for driving style and general looking and larking about

I would take about 5/7 days and enjoy, particularly as the Dart trip is a full day and so is the train at Minehead

Enjoy

Last edited:
Sounds a great tour, will add that to our trip plans.
It would be very useful if there was a website (or here?) where locals share details of their favourite tours and trips.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom