Our Spain/Portugal holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Marty.

I sorry but realistically you're looking at a two day trip to northern Portugal. By the time the ferry docks and you clear Santander it's getting on a bit. Google is giving nearly 7hours straight for that journey and it may be motorway but it is the twistiest one you'll ever drive. And with a newish baby?:crazy: I would bow to SWMBO's call. Bummer, but what it says on Google and what actually happens are two completely different things.

Last edited:
Looked like a great trip Druk:)

How did you rate the ferry and crossing to Santander? Did you have a cabin?

Ive recently booked a villa in Paredes de Coura,Northern Portugal, for May and was thinking of getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao rather than driving all the way through France.

Marty

Oh and happy birthday :)

I´d hire a car- much less hassel, especially with a baby.

I´ve done the Santander / Portsmouth / Plymouth trip several times. To be honest I wouldn´t consider it again unless I booked an expensive cabin, as the two berth is seriously small.

I´m not keen on the Ferry sensation, and as Druk said, the weather can be atrocious, especially across the Bay Of Bisque. The last time I did the trip, the weather was seriously bad, with people being sick everywhere and falling over. They delayed the Ferry for 8 hours because it was so dangerous. (mind you that was in November)

The food is good. The a la carte restaurant is very nice (great buffet), however, the entertainment at night is very Blackpool pleasure beach.

You look at some of the people on the trip from Santander to the UK, and you instantly know the most popular way of getting naughty things into the UK.

I also think overall, it is too expensive.

Last edited:
The wife wants to fly as we will have a 9 month old baby and get a hire car....but thats boring,I hate rubber band powered hire cars.
Marty

With young ones you may be best flying, tbh. I've endured several years of diesel chug-a-bug rentals for that very reason. the worst of all being a diesel Toyota Corolla Verso. Just don't ever go there.......

We reckoned that now the kids are 3 and 6 they'd be up for the drive and so we resumed driving only this year. And it worked out fine.

It's not impossible to take very young kids, just a bit of a ball ache what with their sleeping and eating routines and all that goes with that.

I have just received confirmation from Brittany Ferries for my trip this year from Plymouth to Santander on the 3rd October returning on the 8th.

This will be my first time driving in Spain but not on the continent, so are there any special motoring Spanish laws that I must take note of ?

I have upgraded my cabin to an outside window, 4 berth although there is just 2 of us going. Thanks for the advice on this.

Thanks for the notification Derek that there is a card and route map supplied in the cabin showing the new motorway link/tunnel opened which gives better access out of Santander.

I have viewed my sat-nav and have a printout from Google maps of the route from the Puerto Del Santander going west to my destination. I cannot identify any tunnel from this port to the A-67 going west. Am I missing something here?

I am staying at a hotel just outside Cosgaya and hope to walk to the slopes of the picos and perhaps take the cable car to one of the summits(?) The photos of the hotel and surrounding countryside look fantastic.

Upon my return, I hope to add to this thread re Brittany Ferries/ roads/ hotel/ scenary.

Im doing this trip in a couple of weeks time and staying in the Paradors. The deal for ferry and 4 nights was just too good!:bannana:

Things to take

Insurance cert
V5
Spare specs if you use them to drive with
Hi viz jacket INSIDE the car for all passengers
Spare car light bulbs
EU NHS health card
Spare car key ( not in the car!!)
Roam you phone
Passport, Credit card,& Tickets of course

Preprogram your satnav/Comand with the main towns you are passing through....European Satnav/comand disc

NB radar detectors are not allowed:devil:

Enjoy:thumb:

Im doing this trip in a couple of weeks time and staying in the Paradors. The deal for ferry and 4 nights was just too good!:bannana:

Things to take

Insurance cert
V5
Spare specs if you use them to drive with
Hi viz jacket INSIDE the car for all passengers
Spare car light bulbs
EU NHS health card
Spare car key ( not in the car!!)
Roam you phone
Passport, Credit card,& Tickets of course

Preprogram your satnav/Comand with the main towns you are passing through....European Satnav/comand disc

NB radar detectors are not allowed:devil:

Enjoy:thumb:

In particular 2x warning triangles for spain.

Other than that and the items carnut has listed....

Enjoy.

In particular 2x warning triangles for spain.

Other than that and the items carnut has listed....

Enjoy.

Yes Extra Triangle, youve probably already got one in your car as standard

Hi Viz + triangle from EBay at £6.40...hopefully never to be used!

Your local MB Dealer will change your headlight beam FOC but its a faf

^

With regards changing the beam direction:

My own tip would be to begin with the front left side (facing), as the lever is easier to access (to the left of the Xenon bulb). You´ll then know what to be feeling for when you adjust the right hand xenon, which is more difficult as there is less space.

Marty.

I sorry but realistically you're looking at a two day trip to northern Portugal. By the time the ferry docks and you clear Santander it's getting on a bit. Google is giving nearly 7hours straight for that journey and it may be motorway but it is the twistiest one you'll ever drive. And with a newish baby?:crazy: I would bow to SWMBO's call. Bummer, but what it says on Google and what actually happens are two completely different things.

I´d hire a car- much less hassel, especially with a baby.

With young ones you may be best flying, tbh. I've endured several years of diesel chug-a-bug rentals for that very reason. the worst of all being a diesel Toyota Corolla Verso. Just don't ever go there.......

We reckoned that now the kids are 3 and 6 they'd be up for the drive and so we resumed driving only this year. And it worked out fine.

It's not impossible to take very young kids, just a bit of a ball ache what with their sleeping and eating routines and all that goes with that.

I dont want to take over Druks thread here but I know,I know, I hear what your all saying and flying would be the sensible thing to do :)

Its just that I had such a great time driving around Italy last year that I wanted to do another little road trip, I'd already checked the route on google earth and yes its a fair trek on a twisty road:D but that was with an overnight stop with friends who live roughly half way.

We shall see, its months away yet.

Marty

marty, f*ck flying, take the motor. Much more fun. Buy some portable DVD players for the wee ones and you are laughing.

Thanks for the notification Derek that there is a card and route map supplied in the cabin showing the new motorway link/tunnel opened which gives better access out of Santander.

I have viewed my sat-nav and have a printout from Google maps of the route from the Puerto Del Santander going west to my destination. I cannot identify any tunnel from this port to the A-67 going west. Am I missing something here?

Sorry Bernie, I meant to answer earlier but trying to be smart and upload Google maps to here got me beat. So I'll do it verbally....

Coming off the ferry you're directed along the keyside parallel to the ship and exit at the small roundabout near the 'hotel bahia' (on google maps). When we landed it was under police control cos of the volume of traffic. Proceed straight ahead from this r/bout heading N/E along the shore to the next r/bout which comes as a culture shock cos they're coming from your left at speed and obliquely and you have to give way. (nearly first mistake! :eek:)
Proceed on in the same direction to the next r/bout (the one on the corner of the marina) which is the one with the 'tall flagpole' as referred to in the on-board instructions. You need to be in the left lane approaching this. (note: if you get in the wrong lane here and horns are blown the Churchillian salute given through the open roof works a treat.):D
Turn left and at top of hill you enter 'the tunnel'. You can see this if you follow on Google satellite...the road disappears. Exiting the tunnel almost immediately onto a r/bout go straight across and also the next one and you come to the large r/bout at the shell-back'football stadium' where you turn left onto the S20 which joins up to all routes. All this takes 10 - 15mins max.

Have a great holiday. Look forward to the report.

Last edited:
Second that Bernie......have a great time.

Mea culpa. :ban:

at least someone reads my posts :D

Sorry Bernie, I meant to answer earlier but trying to be smart and upload Google maps to here got me beat. So I'll do it verbally....

Coming off the ferry you're directed along the keyside parallel to the ship and exit at the small roundabout near the 'hotel bahia' (on google maps). When we landed it was under police control cos of the volume of traffic. Proceed straight ahead from this r/bout heading N/E along the shore to the next r/bout which comes as a culture shock cos they're coming from your left at speed and obliquely and you have to give way. (nearly first mistake! :eek:)
Proceed on in the same direction to the next r/bout (the one on the corner of the marina) which is the one with the 'tall flagpole' as referred to in the on-board instructions. You need to be in the left lane approaching this. (note: if you get in the wrong lane here and horns are blown the Churchillian salute given through the open roof works a treat.):D
Turn left and at top of hill you enter 'the tunnel'. You can see this if you follow on Google satellite...the road disappears. Exiting the tunnel almost immediately onto a r/bout go straight across and also the next one and you come to the large r/bout at the shell-back'football stadium' where you turn left onto the S20 which joins up to all routes. All this takes 10 - 15mins max.

Have a great holiday. Look forward to the report.

I read your posts too

However..There is NO WAY im going to have those instructions read to me by my passenger:eek: but thanks anyway. Too much to assimilate:(

Google Earth is fantastic to get a feeling of what to expect when you get off the Ferry, the roads En route, and the approaches to your Hotel

Great Tech!:bannana:

Thanks for your best wishes guys and for the instructions. Information over-load? I don't know but I've given my wife the choice of navigating or driving. Her choice!!!

I have now returned from my trip to Spain so I thought I would update you all. The car was a dream! In fact the perfect tourer bar none ( well maybe I would consider a Ferrari California
icon_lol.gif
)

I can highly recommend this trip to anyone who enjoys driving as the roads of northern spain were very smooth with very little traffic. The mountains of Cantabria were awe inspiring and the weather ( not guaranteed at this time of year) was kind with the roof down every day. We did 980 miles of mountain driving ( glad I had new pads fitted!) at just under 26 mpg so with Spanish petrol at less than £1 litre it was driving heaven compared to this country
The "Ferry" was an overnight mini cruise and the food was worthy of a Michelin Star!The seafood was particularly impressive.

Thanks to all those who helped plan this trip. I will be doing another next spring: Portsmouth to Santander-drive to St Malo- St Malo to Portsmouth.

(The current price for the Ferry,2 nights in outside club cabin,Car and 2 passengers is £286 TOTAL
icon_eek.gif
- bargain
icon_lol.gif
)

Last edited:
Where was your second photo taken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom