Out in the cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
That's not me, it's my car, so my question is,.....what's the best or more efficient way to protecting my new car, this will be it's first winter without a garage.

Get a good wax and sealant put on when the weather is kind enough to apply it.

My personal choice is Farecla G3 Pro superwax and sealed with Sonax BDS.

Thanks AM, I have some Zymol would that be as good ?

A good car cover is a worthwhile investment if you are planning to leave the car outside for days or weeks upon end.

Thank guy's, I have a cover but it was for my CLS 250, I may be able to adapt it perhaps ?

Make sure the car is clean before fitting the cover or you run the danger of getting rub marks, especially if it turns windy

Get a good wax and sealant put on when the weather is kind enough to apply it.

Definitely this. Even a couple of coats of a good wax that'll last throughout the winter will suffice.

Also, keep the car as clean as possible rather than sat covered in road salt. Hose up in the arches where possible as well.

It's that regular cleaning that will keep the car at it's best anyway. My old E320 lives out in the cold, does plenty of miles rain or shine, I just wash it every two weeks (weather permitting) and ensure it's got a layer or protection. Soldiers on despite it's age.

A cover is an option too, I use one on my CLS and to be fair it's as good as a non-heated garage in terms of protection. Assuming the car was meticulously cleaned first, the cover is secured properly and it should come out as clean as when you put the cover on. Only thing with covers is they can be a pain if you're using the car frequently. Hence I've not bothered with my E.

Very helpful, many thanks, I assume new cars from Mercedes-Benz would be waxed and protected anyway? (Never assume)

I would't worry. A car cover in the wet and windy weather will do more harm than good.

When you wash it, give it an extra squirt underneath. Make sure all the drain holes around the scuttle are clear of leaves (my W205 is terrible for this). If you get a nice sunny day park it with the doors open for a couple of hours to get some fresh air through the interior. It's amazing how much moisture wet shoes, clothes and people can bring in to a car.

Cars generally fare better out in the free open air. They dry out quicker-better air circulation-- they rust slower----rusting only occurs above a certain temperature so while while your pride and joy is out there shivering in the dark----its not rusting :) - nice and damp in a cosy garage is another matter. :eek: Where a car outside will suffer is from deposition from industrial sources [ chemical or particulates ] or natural deposition [e.g. bird shit, leaves , salt by the sea - sahara dust] on its upper surfaces. In the summer damage to interior trim [ dash top especially] or paintwork is going to come from exposure to sunlight UV rays. So you win some you lose some keeping it outside. Best car storage for most would be a carport which is possibly the best compromise.

p.s. the down side of outside storage in the winter is frosted windscreens and cold batteries of course . Cold batteries can't conduct electricity so well so their cranking capacity is reduced in very cold conditions---- people living in very cold climates often take their batteries inside overnight and only fit them to the vehicle when required- the other tip which assumes a healthy battery is to switch on the headlights for a few minutes before turning the engine over which is enough to warm up the electrolyte to enable it to pass more current demanded for starting the engine!

Last edited:
As all above really, give it a good clean with and paint decontamination with fallout and tar remover, G3 clay mit, a good polish and wax (maybe a double coat to ensure coverage) and you're all set.

Through the winter months if you don't have one may be worth while investing in a snow foam lance and some Bilt hamber snow foam it makes life just that little bit easier when it comes to cleaning off all the road salt at the weekends in my opinion but a decent PH neutral pre-wash is fine too.

Very helpful, many thanks, I assume new cars from Mercedes-Benz would be waxed and protected anyway? (Never assume)

They’ll be cleaned and maybe hand polished to look shiny. That’s likely to be about it though.

Unless you’re having one of those coatings applied by the dealership (which I wouldn’t recommend personally).

Just get it home and you’ll do a way better job yourself. :)

I know some advice above is anti-cover, but I did buy one recently after my wrap esp if leaving a couple of days sat still...as happens sometimes...then want to avoid having to clean off the inevitable bird poop and coating of dust that accumulates so quickly at this time of year, so to avoid cleaning every coupla days (the darker colour shows the dirt far worse than the old silver - something I did not consider, but who cares!)

I will not use the cover if the car is wet. I take care when putting on and taking off and this seems so far at least to be a very good quality product at an amazing price...it is a minor pain to put on and remove...probably a couple of minutes on with 3/4 off and folded up...again like a tent make sure the cover is dry before folding/storing. Have not tried to get back in original package yet. Like a tent maybe fun folding tight enough to do so, so may get slightly larger bag poss even for lifer to store it in boot or house.

Will report back if any probs arise with it. Used twice now and good fit and with cotton lining feel confident the wrap is being treated with the gentleness of touch it deserves.

MERCEDES CLK (03 +) PREMIUM WATERPROOF CAR COVER HEAVY DUTY | eBay

A good car cover is a worthwhile investment if you are planning to leave the car outside for days or weeks upon end.
I bought an expensive 3 ply cover for my old SLK and even though I only put it on when the car was bone dry, whenever i took it off the car was damp, it went on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom