Out in the cold

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Brian 1, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Brian 1

Brian 1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB A Class 180d sport
    That's not me, it's my car, so my question is,.....what's the best or more efficient way to protecting my new car, this will be it's first winter without a garage.

2. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Get a good wax and sealant put on when the weather is kind enough to apply it.

My personal choice is Farecla G3 Pro superwax and sealed with Sonax BDS.

Brian 1 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Brian 1

Car:
    MB A Class 180d sport
    Thanks AM, I have some Zymol would that be as good ?

chrisk2010 likes this.
  4. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    :thumb: As long as you are pleased with the results Brian, that is all that counts. There is not a right or wrong product IMO.

Bobby Dazzler, Brian 1 and clk320x like this.
  5. Legacy260

Legacy260 Member

Car:
    C63 Wagon
    A good car cover is a worthwhile investment if you are planning to leave the car outside for days or weeks upon end.

Brian 1 likes this.
  6. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Clean it more often...otherwise forget it. Cars are not the snowflakes we think they are.

7. OP
    OP
    Brian 1

Car:
    MB A Class 180d sport
    Thank guy's, I have a cover but it was for my CLS 250, I may be able to adapt it perhaps ?

8. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    Make sure the car is clean before fitting the cover or you run the danger of getting rub marks, especially if it turns windy

chrisk2010 and Brian 1 like this.
  9. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Definitely this. Even a couple of coats of a good wax that'll last throughout the winter will suffice.

Also, keep the car as clean as possible rather than sat covered in road salt. Hose up in the arches where possible as well.

It's that regular cleaning that will keep the car at it's best anyway. My old E320 lives out in the cold, does plenty of miles rain or shine, I just wash it every two weeks (weather permitting) and ensure it's got a layer or protection. Soldiers on despite it's age.

A cover is an option too, I use one on my CLS and to be fair it's as good as a non-heated garage in terms of protection. Assuming the car was meticulously cleaned first, the cover is secured properly and it should come out as clean as when you put the cover on. Only thing with covers is they can be a pain if you're using the car frequently. Hence I've not bothered with my E.

Brian 1 and whitenemesis like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Brian 1

Car:
    MB A Class 180d sport
    Very helpful, many thanks, I assume new cars from Mercedes-Benz would be waxed and protected anyway? (Never assume)

11. CaptainChaos

CaptainChaos Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C350e PP Estate
    I would't worry. A car cover in the wet and windy weather will do more harm than good.

When you wash it, give it an extra squirt underneath. Make sure all the drain holes around the scuttle are clear of leaves (my W205 is terrible for this). If you get a nice sunny day park it with the doors open for a couple of hours to get some fresh air through the interior. It's amazing how much moisture wet shoes, clothes and people can bring in to a car.

12. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Cars generally fare better out in the free open air. They dry out quicker-better air circulation-- they rust slower----rusting only occurs above a certain temperature so while while your pride and joy is out there shivering in the dark----its not rusting :) - nice and damp in a cosy garage is another matter. :eek: Where a car outside will suffer is from deposition from industrial sources [ chemical or particulates ] or natural deposition [e.g. bird shit, leaves , salt by the sea - sahara dust] on its upper surfaces. In the summer damage to interior trim [ dash top especially] or paintwork is going to come from exposure to sunlight UV rays. So you win some you lose some keeping it outside. Best car storage for most would be a carport which is possibly the best compromise.

p.s. the down side of outside storage in the winter is frosted windscreens and cold batteries of course . Cold batteries can't conduct electricity so well so their cranking capacity is reduced in very cold conditions---- people living in very cold climates often take their batteries inside overnight and only fit them to the vehicle when required- the other tip which assumes a healthy battery is to switch on the headlights for a few minutes before turning the engine over which is enough to warm up the electrolyte to enable it to pass more current demanded for starting the engine!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    chrisk2010 likes this.
  13. chrisk2010

chrisk2010 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C230 w203
    As all above really, give it a good clean with and paint decontamination with fallout and tar remover, G3 clay mit, a good polish and wax (maybe a double coat to ensure coverage) and you're all set.

Through the winter months if you don't have one may be worth while investing in a snow foam lance and some Bilt hamber snow foam it makes life just that little bit easier when it comes to cleaning off all the road salt at the weekends in my opinion but a decent PH neutral pre-wash is fine too.

14. chrisk2010

chrisk2010 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C230 w203
    alzieboy likes this.
  15. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    They’ll be cleaned and maybe hand polished to look shiny. That’s likely to be about it though.

Unless you’re having one of those coatings applied by the dealership (which I wouldn’t recommend personally).

Just get it home and you’ll do a way better job yourself. :)