Out-of-date Marmite - worth the risk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, I'd forgotten how scrummy this stuff is. :D Thanks all - and someone above was correct: the date is indeed a 'Best before'.

Now I'm off to make some proper bread instead of the mass-made stuff I had for lunch...

HA HA!! We lied!! Out of date Marmite will actually kill you!!
Good one lads! We got him!!

I'd eat it without second thoughts. Did you know you can get Marmite crisps now? They make a lovely sandwich.

I remember Bovril crisps, yumeee, do they still make them?

How much is a new jar? £1.20? Times must be tough in Manalishi's household. ;)

Just found an unopened jar of loverly Marmite. Use-by date is August 2008. Do we think it's just a legal requirement, and there's nothing in Marmite to go bad? Looks and smells fine.

Or is there some peculiar yeast-based nasty in there, just waiting to attack a chap's alimentary canal?

that is young, have eaten bb 1997 recently, no ill effects!

Love marmite, had mine this morn on 4 pieces of toast :rock:.
Your nose is a good tool for these things ;).

I like use by dates, my friends mum is s stickler by them, so I get the not used stuff :rolleyes::D, koolio! Even 1 day over will do it for her :).
I know what OK-to-eat marmite smells like but how do you know by smell if it's gone bad? Your nasal receptors are already shredded from the first go surely? And I'm sure the diff oil in my Fintail is Marmite cos it looks like it - should I change it or spread it on some soldiers (assuming I could find a soldier to spread it on of course....)?

You had better eat it - you can't dispose of it any other way as it is probably classed as hazardous waste!

You had better eat it - you can't dispose of it any other way as it is probably classed as hazardous waste!

You're nearer the mark than you think. Marmite starts life as spent yeast from the brewing industry.

Was only joking - love the stuff myself and would never even think to look at the "sell by date"

Can't believe we are at almost 3 pages dicussing Marmite "Best By" dates :crazy:

Lot of people must be working from home :thumb:

:bannana::bannana:

Can't believe we are at almost 3 pages dicussing Marmite "Best By" dates :crazy:

Lot of people must be working from home :thumb:

:bannana::bannana:

What a diverse forum this is :thumb:.

Oi! This is one of the big jars. If you can tell me where they're on sale at £1.20 I'll be your bestest friend. :D

B&M bargains!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom