Out-of-date Marmite - worth the risk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

Just found an unopened jar of loverly Marmite. Use-by date is August 2008. Do we think it's just a legal requirement, and there's nothing in Marmite to go bad? Looks and smells fine.

Or is there some peculiar yeast-based nasty in there, just waiting to attack a chap's alimentary canal?

Or is there some peculiar yeast-based nasty in there, just waiting to attack a chap's alimentary canal?

Yep, that's Marmite for ya! A yeast-based nasty waiting to attack your alimentary system.

I doubt that a use-by date will help it's case much.

Having said that, I think use-by dates were only ever a ruse by retailers/manufacturers to exploit consumers. Remember when you could buy cheese and they trimmed the mould/rhind off it prior to cutting it to your desired weight or size? I'm still here in full health.

In summary - I think you'll be OK. Now, if it were thawed prawns...

Most "end by dates" in my opinion are a scam to get sales. Meats - yes I would ditch but I suggest that you enjoy your lovely Marmite with toast and oodles of real butter - Yummy.

Marmite is even better when it is nicely matured.

Do fine wines have a sell by date? No! Eat and be damned!!

Love marmite, had mine this morn on 4 pieces of toast :rock:.
Your nose is a good tool for these things ;).

I like use by dates, my friends mum is s stickler by them, so I get the not used stuff :rolleyes::D, koolio! Even 1 day over will do it for her :).

If it was mine i'd risk it. Did you know if you vigorously stir it itturnes white.!

Even honey sold nowadays has a sell by date................utterly stupid.

That lasts thousands of years when kept in a sealed jar.

Eat away and enjoy.....................

Old marmite is fine ...

I found some at work last year that expired in June 2007 , and put it on my toast .... yummy.

Excellent. My GF is dubious (mostly because she'll have to clear up if there's any unpleasant effects on me innards), but I shall risk it.

If I don't log on for a while, please send flowers...

Marmite doesn't have a 'use by' date. It has a 'best before' date which is different.

Just found an unopened jar of loverly Marmite. Use-by date is August 2008. Do we think it's just a legal requirement, and there's nothing in Marmite to go bad? Looks and smells fine.

Is it a Use-By date? That is only required on food that (accoring to the info for the food hygiene and safety course I'm taking) 'which, from the microbiological point of view, are highly perishable and are therefore likely after a short period to constitute an immediate danger to human health'.

I ask because it's usually foods that require refrigeration/chilling that have such markings.

Best-Before is a quality marking, and not a food safety one.

Personally, I'd rely on my eyes and nose if it's just me. I wouldn't risk anyone else though.

If it was mine i'd risk it. Did you know if you vigorously stir it itturnes white.!

Maybe that's the test? If it doesn't turn white, don't risk it!:bannana::D

Marmite is used so slowly by most people I suspect most of it is out of date...but I'd still use it.

^ You wouldn't say that if you'd tasted it.

Have the government issued public health advice on this?

Maybe you should eat it outside just in case....

Sell-by dates are to protect the seller, not the consumer.

What exactly happens to the food at midnight on the date in question?

Well, I'd forgotten how scrummy this stuff is. :D Thanks all - and someone above was correct: the date is indeed a 'Best before'.

Now I'm off to make some proper bread instead of the mass-made stuff I had for lunch...

Well, I'd forgotten how scrummy this stuff is. :D Thanks all - and someone above was correct: the date is indeed a 'Best before'.

Now I'm off to make some proper bread instead of the mass-made stuff I had for lunch...

1) Toast one side of a slice of bread
2) Spread non-toasted side of bread thinly with marmite
3) Totally cover with grated cheese (strong cheddar & some brie works well)
4) Sprinkle with a few drops of Lea & Perrins
5) Pop under grill then eat
6) Die and go to heaven

(God, wish I had not thought of that. I am drooling now!)

MMMMMarmite

Marmite is high in salt, and as salt is a preservative I would enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom