Outdoor car storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rk100

Car
W215 CL65 AMG & W124 E500
Hi all

I was planning on parking up my car for the winter. As I don't have a garage yet I was going to store it in one of the outdoor carcoons, see link

https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-airflow-systems/carcoon-double-skin-outdoor#intro

I was going to hook up my ctek trickle charger to keep the battery in order - is there anything else that I should be doing since it will be parked up a few months? Also any advice/experience with the outdoor carcoon welcome (going to purchase this in the coming weeks)

Thanks

I have also thought about covering my car for the winter. But for the size of carcoon needed for the merc and the price there charging it would be cheaper to build a garage lol.

Carcoons are just absolutely fantastic... You wont need a ctek as the carcoon system has a battery conditioner built in.

I have several carcoons as they never give me any problem, i have had cars in there through snow, hail, wind... no problem at all...

Only slight downside is the faff of unzipping etc to remove the car... and also visitors wonder why there is a space craft on the driveway.

Think I'll just go for a cover if just the winter period.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I know the carcoons are expensive but I like the fact the whole car is within a cover as opposed to a traditional cover over the top.

I've had the Stomforce cover, expensive but only fairly good. Weathered badly after two winters and then tore at the under body staps. Wouldn't really go down that road again, so then I bought a Dancover portable garage (6x3.3m) in the early Spring, seems o.k. and no problems so far but I won't really know how good it is until after the winter (must keep snow off the roof). Ideally, I'd go for the Carcoon but I wanted to take advantage of the Dancover's size and store odds & sods too. Also the portable garage gives far greater flexibility as it's just walk and start the car up etc but it will develop condensation on it's internal walls.

Link Tents, shelters, storage buldings, marquees, pop up canopies - the largest selection on the market!

Last edited:
Traditional covers just dont work.. they promote damp, flap around in the wind and generally its probably better just not to cover the car than use a normal car cover.

Traditional covers just dont work.. they promote damp, flap around in the wind and generally its probably better just not to cover the car than use a normal car cover.

Overall, I'd say you are correct. But in fairness to the breathable Stormforce it did an o.k. job for what it was but I noticed it held condensation in certain areas and I wouldn't think it was 100% water proof either. Also, I wouldn't use one again unless I was really stuck or the car was located in a somewhat drier climate. I'd agree too that the Carcoon is the only real way to protect a car, bike etc., inside or outside.

John Jones Jr said:
I've had the Stomforce cover, expensive but only fairly good. Weathered badly after two winters and then tore at the under body staps. Wouldn't really go down that road again, so then I bought a Dancover portable garage (6x3.3m) in the early Spring, seems o.k. and no problems so far but I won't really know how good it is until after the winter (must keep snow off the roof). Ideally, I'd go for the Carcoon but I wanted to take advantage of the Dancover's size and store odds & sods too. Also the portable garage gives far greater flexibility as it's just walk and start the car up etc but it will develop condensation on it's internal walls.

Link Tents, shelters, storage buldings, marquees, pop up canopies - the largest selection on the market!

Just noticed that with Dancover the size 6 outside carcoon is actually£26 cheaper after delivery included than the carcoon uk website!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom