Outdoor wildlife cameras?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrianWSussex

Car
250d C-Class
Has anybody used a 'budget priced' outdoor wildlife (not birds) camera to record what goes on in our gardens after we humans go to bed?
Huge holes appear under fences in our gardens overnight. Whatever it is it has the ability to move bricks and bits of concrete and damage fences.
Some cameras record to an SD card, others use wifi straight to the TV.
Any recommendations?

I bought a Hikvision 4 channel nvr pretty cheap with 4 external IP cameras with night vision. Used one initially in the garage to see if I had mice and what was going on. I did have mice....7 in the end....all seen on camera & very interesting to watch at night with the night vision as well.

They are all PoE with an embedded passive fables PoE switch in the NVR. Just need to run a CAT5 cable to each. There will be cheaper & easier ways but this records back to a hard disk in the NVR you can access over a web browser or app to view footage.

The mice are no longer but going to install the 4 outside. Will be interesting to see what runs around in our garden at night as we do get plenty of loud & weird noises!

Depends if it is a temp thing are will be more permanent I guess. Maybe you could hire/borrow a half decent one if temp.

That was a quick response thank you.
Woodythewise. I might try your suggestion. I missed that one in my quick look round. Price is about right because I don't think we are into this long term, just got us and the neighbours baffled.
Might never go in the garden again after dark of course!

Rockits. Years ago we moved into a new to us house. The overnight the kitchen attracted huge wall climbing slugs and we suspected mice.
One night I let the family go to bed and then stood silently in the kitchen. It didn't need a camera, 10 mins later mice appeared from everywhere (and I mean lots of them).
We had to turn to a professional and he found a well worn (mouse) track through the garage, across a path and into a house air brick, wall cavity, and kitchen.
Scary, but long gone now.

Rockits. Years ago we moved into a new to us house. The overnight the kitchen attracted huge wall climbing slugs and we suspected mice.
One night I let the family go to bed and then stood silently in the kitchen. It didn't need a camera, 10 mins later mice appeared from everywhere (and I mean lots of them).
We had to turn to a professional and he found a well worn (mouse) track through the garage, across a path and into a house air brick, wall cavity, and kitchen.
Scary, but long gone now.
Funny how they find their way in through tiny places. I think they were resident in the garage when we moved in 3 years ago. Only started finding evidences 2 years later. Managed to start seeing the garage again after getting through all the house move boxes year one. Then office move boxes year two!

Had a spare interior for the Maser that they munched through in several places in addition to lots of other stuff. Got them all in the end. Was funny to watch one of them pile up loads of buts of leaves/grass debris outside one of the flip down door traps. Then walk off and purposely flick down the trap door with its tail! Clever mouse....well not that clever...he met his maker in the end.

Interesting thread, thank you. I'm quite worried about little furry things (mice) and the six months the Green Meanie spends in my garage. This spring when she went for her MOT and service a little mouse nest was found in the engine bay. Suggestions please? Would rather they were humane, if possible.

I bought several different types some humane some not so. The humane ones were these style:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00133QS3G/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

The can take a bit of patience but peanut butter inside as bait and some baiting outside to attract them in works a treat. Best to leave the traps out all round to be sure.

Has anybody used a 'budget priced' outdoor wildlife (not birds) camera to record what goes on in our gardens after we humans go to bed?
Huge holes appear under fences in our gardens overnight. Whatever it is it has the ability to move bricks and bits of concrete and damage fences.
Some cameras record to an SD card, others use wifi straight to the TV.
Any recommendations?

Sounds like the trespassers are a tad bigger than rodents. What have they eaten once in the garden?.

Sounds like you have Badgers,I lived in a area where they would come out at night,they would wander around but when scared they would make a bolt back to their sett,so dustbins would be bowled over fence panels would be smashed,and of course peoples lawns were dug up.

Thanks for your advice. The big house some 400 yds away has undergone serious refurb this last year and the garden undisturbed for years remodelled so I think you are all probably right - badgers.
A camera seems the best bet but unfortunately it will have to wait for a while - ill report back when I can.

Bushnell trail cams are pretty good. From your username I'm guessing you're in Sussex, which is unfortunately too far for me to lend you ours.

If you do have badgers, I think you'll need to seek professional help on what to do to get rid.

Interesting about the house and garden being done up,I suspect they may have disturbed a sett this is against the law,and yes they will just dig another and forage where they can,their eyesight is poor,if you came back at night where I used to live they looked like large dogs roaming around at night then they panic when they smell you. and all hell breaks loose

lisa110rry said:
Interesting thread, thank you. I'm quite worried about little furry things (mice) and the six months the Green Meanie spends in my garage. This spring when she went for her MOT and service a little mouse nest was found in the engine bay. Suggestions please? Would rather they were humane, if possible.
Never tried these, Lisa, but could be worth a try.

https://glueboardsdirect.co.uk/

We tried humane solutions (traps, repellers etc.) a few years back with very limited success. Mice can do a huge amount of damage, and when we had them in the garage (where my SL lives) earlier in the year I'm afraid it was bait boxes and trays straight away. They had already destroyed the padded storage bag for the hardtop though :(

When they wrecked my spare Maserati leather interior it was inhumane after that I'm afraid. They chomp on anything.

Thanks for that, especially to Ted. However, I'm repulsed by the idea that I would need to 'despatch them humanely'. I'd rather catch him/her/them in some sort of box then take the box to the fields and let him/her/them loose. Got to do something by October, so I think I'll procrastinate a bit longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom