Outlook Email issue, urgent help needed please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
I always leave my pc running, 27/7 unless it needs a re-boot or Im going away.

Yesterday when I stated to work on my pc there was an error meesage on the screen saying;

Cannot open your default email folders. An error has occurred.
MAPI was unable to load the information service mspst.dll. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured.

So I go through the usual processes, re-boot the machine etc and as windows XP loads I get another error message saying;

WindowsSearch.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL C:WINDOWS\system32\MAPI32.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I've tried doing a system restore to the last checkpoint but still no good. I also did one further back to the beginning of the week but still nothing.

Everything else works as normal except for Outlook, it just won't load up.

I need my email for my business so if anyone has any ideas, help etc it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Leigh

Not a fan of AVG - but in theory it should stop older virus's that corrupt system files..

Can you not access your email account from another pc and just reinstall the XP machine with something a little more current?

Not a fan of AVG - but in theory it should stop older virus's that corrupt system files..

Can you not access your email account from another pc and just reinstall the XP machine with something a little more current?

I can't log in as the password for the email account is in an email that was sent to me when I opened the email account. I can log in to the domain host but the email password is/was generated by them and I don't have a record of it and of course it's Saturday so I can't speak to anyone there until Monday.

OK find your PST file on the computer.. copy it to an external HDD / usb stick.. open it on another pc - get your password and bob is your uncle.

OK find your PST file on the computer.. copy it to an external HDD / usb stick.. open it on another pc - get your password and bob is your uncle.

Thanks, where is the pst file located, in Office or elswhere?

it will be inside your user folders in your windows profile..

you will need to search for it ( am on a mac and don't have anything XP to hand )

roughly:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Profile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\yourfile.pst

Have you tried a system restore to before the problem began?

This would be my first method of trying to resolve this.

As above I'd grab the PST file and then either remove and reinstall outlook or if you have the office disk there is a repair option on there which may resolve your issue.

Update:

I ran the Office disk repair and I now have Outlook up and running again! :bannana:

However, when I re-boot the pc I am still getting the Windows error message as before, very strange.....

Update:

I ran the Office disk repair and I now have Outlook up and running again! :bannana:

However, when I re-boot the pc I am still getting the Windows error message as before, very strange.....

Is it still the same message as in your OP? if you have your windows original disk you can run the repair option from that then at least you know all your files are intact and not corrupted. The repair function is hidden away in the install option and not the recovery console just in case you aren't familiar with it.

good luck

Is it still the same message as in your OP? if you have your windows original disk you can run the repair option from that then at least you know all your files are intact and not corrupted. The repair function is hidden away in the install option and not the recovery console just in case you aren't familiar with it.

good luck

Yes, it's the same error message as in my first post. I do have the disk somewhere, I'll dig it out and have a go.

Thanks for your help :)

Yes, it's the same error message as in my first post. I do have the disk somewhere, I'll dig it out and have a go.

Thanks for your help :)

No prob, when you do you go to the windows install and then it comes up with options If you choose the repair install it leaves all of your data intact and just repairs the windows files, just be careful and read everything twice (says the man that didn't :doh:) before you proceed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom