Outlook for Mac 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I need a mail application for my Mac and would like to use Outlook.
Does anyone know if its possible to get outlook without buying a complete office suite.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Not possible i'm sorry to say, but you can get Office 2011, with Excel, word powerpoint and a mail programme called Entourage for about £80.
Entourage is a cut down version of Outlook and is quite good , but you cant link your diary to it.
A lot cheaper than the Full Outlook version £160

I think you need to buy the home version of Office which includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.

What's wrong with the Apple Email client?, it works with lots of email platforms..

Sent from by HTC using unicorn tears.

Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Home and Business includes Outlook for Mac 2011 and cost around £160.

Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Home and Student is cheaper at around £80 but does not included Outlook.

The previous version of Office for Mac, i.e. version 2008, did not have Outlook but included instead an email client called Entourage.

However the only way to get Outlook for Mac is to buy Office for Mac 2011 Home and Business, and the only way to get Entourage is to buy Office for Mac 2008, if you can still find it.

Apple Mail is fine as a standalone mail client, however when connecting to corporate email e.g. Microsoft Exchange, power users will find it does not always display the 'expected behaviour'.

The firm I work for has an agreement with MS that entitles employees to purchase home copies of the software for a fraction of the usual price and this is how I got Office for our MacBook. If you work for a Corporate or Public sector organisation, it might be worth exploring this route first?

Also, Education/Academic Open licensing - which is available to both schools/universities and to not-for-profit organisations e.g. Registered Charities - come with 'home use rights' which allow an employee to run a second copy of the licensed software on his/her home PC as long as both copies are not used at the same time.

Not possible i'm sorry to say, but you can get Office 2011, with Excel, word powerpoint and a mail programme called Entourage for about £80.
Entourage is a cut down version of Outlook and is quite good , but you cant link your diary to it.
A lot cheaper than the Full Outlook version £160

Entourage isn't a cut down version of outlook its actually a completely different piece of software although it does have most of the functionality and it most definitely does work with exchange diaries, I use it all the time.

If you're thinking of getting outlook for the Mac bare in mind it only works with newer versions of exchange server, lot of corporates out there are still using old versions. That's why I'm using office 2011 with entourage from 2008.

You can download a free 30 day trial of Office for Mac from microsoft.

The mac Outlook version is not a replica of the pc version and it handles mail slightly differently, worse imo.

I use Apple Mail for multiple email accs albeit home use and prefer Pages & Numbers to Word & Excel.

Thanks guys, I have the trial version of outlook, will see if that works before deciding if to buy a copy or may be try mail.

Would need to have calendar functionality also.

The alternative would be to look at running the "proper"/windows version of outlook on your mac.

By using something like crossover for mac, you don't even need to buy a windows license...

M.

Apple Mail is fine as a standalone mail client, however when connecting to corporate email e.g. Microsoft Exchange, power users will find it does not always display the 'expected behaviour'.

+1

It is a dog on my exchange mail from work. Struggles to sync and takes hours to load the inbox. It also loses sync.

I do use Outlook on my Mac which I get in a Corp deal. I also use Virtual Box and can run Windows on that if required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom