Outlook won't let me attach a file!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Subyland

Car
E320T; E270T CDI; A170L CDI auto; Land Rover Defender 110
My Outlook has been playing up recently, preventing me from attaching a file to an e-mail. It says "could not open one or more attachement. I can try 10 times and it won't work, but for some reason it works at the 11th...:devil:
Does anyone has any suggestion ??

Most odd!

Are you opening a file and using the "Send As" option to send as an attachment or are you attaching the file from within Outlook? (i.e. attaching the file to a mail)

Hi Steve,

attaching a file to a mail...It seems that sometimes, if I open another file before the one I want to send it works.????

If you have difficulties attaching a file using File > Insert... or the Insert file button on the toolbar, then try this...
  1. Using Windows Explorer, My Computer or My Documents find the file you want to attach to the email.
  2. Once you've found it, single right click on the the file icon and select Copy from the menu.
  3. Then switch back to the email you want to attach it to, and in the body of the email (where you type your message) single right click again, but this time select Paste from the menu.
  4. The file will then be attached to the email.
Hope this helps...

Hi Steve,

attaching a file to a mail...It seems that sometimes, if I open another file before the one I want to send it works.????

Hiya! This rings a vague bell and if I recall it was sorted by a reinstall of office. Not saying that is the only way but our IT department seem to be pretty much a one-trick pony - if in doubt, use a large hammer!! :D

I know that when I have seen this kind of problem before it has almost always been caused by something I've subsequently installed.

Bobby Dazzler's solution will work but I'm guessing it is not practical as a long-term fix - it would drive me nutty doing it that way all the time

HTH

How long is the file path for the file? eg C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\filewithareallyreallylongfilename.doc

Earlier versions of Outlook could not handle file paths containing more than 255 characters, and manifests itself in a similar way to what you describe. Copy/pasting as I described overcomes this problem.

This may have been fixed with later versions - not sure?

Maybe someone who knows about IT, rather than pretends to know (ie me), can advise.

Go to outlook express TOOLBAR ----OPTIONS-----SEND---MAIL ---SENDING FORMAT--- make sure the HTML SETTING is selected ( you got to have the message in rich text format to insert pictures) ---- OPEN THE HTML SETTING BUTTON and make sure the SEND PICTURES WITH MESSAGES box is ticked then APPLY/SAVE these settings and to be on the safe side close outlook express. open it again and check these settings are still there. worth a try??

Do we assume you have the latest Outlook, if not worth upgrading as it is free, or reloading it.

Thanks all for the advice. I have Outlook 2000. I'll give a try to your solutions as soon as I can tomorrow.

Yes I know mate. That is why I prefer Outlook Express.:p :p

And how exactly do you back up your emails in Outlook Express Brian?

My bet is that you have no backup....

Outlook users just need to backup a single OST file whereas Express users have a whole gaggle of files tucked away in unlikely places to be careful of.

I never recommend Outlook Express for that very reason.

Outlook users just need to backup a single OST file whereas Express users have a whole gaggle of files tucked away in unlikely places to be careful of

Come on Sp!ke, it's only one "unlikely place" and once you know where that is it's simple enough copying the files from that folder somewhere safe.

Of course I'm going to get home now and find the whole system has crashed :p

Anyway back to the plot ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom