Outside cabling question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
I have a double extension socket and fuse box on the conservatory wall that has been done by a sparks with armoured cable from source etc. I need to add a weatherproof socket on the same wall about 2 metres away - do I need to use armoured cable again or can I use twin & earth inside conduit (with weatherproof glands etc.)? I'll get someone to do the "final mile" i.e the connection to the exisiting box.

Not so much need to use armoured cable but I probably would finish the job of as you started. No fault devolving on you later if anyone is unfortunate enough to have an accident.

If you're getting a sparky to make the connection, it won't cost that much more to get him to run the cable and screw the socket to the wall.

He'll want to check your wiring in the new socket anyway before he powers it.

Gets omeone who's NIC registered and qualified - grey area when it comes to insurance/selling/letting if you have additional work done yourself and need to claim at some point stating that your house has NIC approved wiring. Like invalidating a warranty on a new car by having it remapped/modded in any way.

hi should be an easy fit for a spark

to make the job look like it was always their i would use armor cable (SWA)
but as you said yes twin and earth will also do but the conduit should be galvinsed steel and coupled to the out side box to box a bit more work but do the same job and the correct IP rated fittings and glands used

the reason for all the heavy duty stuff is one water egress , in case some one trys to cut or hit the cable by accident and , protection from the sun as cable sheath can brake down in the uv from sun

good luck with job

im a spark myself any questions pm me if you want

but as you said yes twin and earth will also do but the conduit should be galvinsed steel and coupled to the out side box to box a bit more work but do the same job and the correct IP rated fittings and glands used

the reason for all the heavy duty stuff is one water egress , in case some one trys to cut or hit the cable by accident and , protection from the sun as cable sheath can brake down in the uv from sun

good luck with job

Do you mean ingress ? ip rating = ingress protection ?:crazy:

good luck with job

Do you mean ingress ? ip rating = ingress protection ?:crazy:

Hi,
Plastic conduit such as Egatube coupled directly to the enclosures would suffice, but i would use a three core 4mm flex instead of twin and earth.

If the existing fittings are external and in weatherproof boxes then there is no reason why you cannot have it run in plastic conduit to another weatherproof box as long as the appropriate glands are used to maintain the IP rating.

The connecting cable can therefore be single strand or multi-core as long as it is not larger than the supply cable.

Take the advice from a local spark that you can trust.

Don't forget if the existing one is a "spur" ie not in the ring main you shouldn't really run a spur off a spur, not good practice.

Don't forget if the existing one is a "spur" ie not in the ring main you shouldn't really run a spur off a spur, not good practice.

If I recall the outside electrics have their own connection into the house fusebox (a modern one with all RCD I think)

To be precise, you shouldn't run a spur off an UNFUSED spur which is in turn run off a ring main.

Putting a 13 amp Fused Connection Unit first in circuit solves that problem - at least it did under 16th Edition regs (I used to be a sparky when cable was still red and black!)

There MUST be an RCD with 30ma sensitivity protecting this socket - either integrated with the socket or "upstream" (ie in the consumer unit)

If the conservatory is on it's own RADIAL circuit directly from the main consumer unit there is no issue, but you need to match the cable size as 30 amp radial circuits use 4mm cable.

Steel armoured cable is a heck of a lot easier to work with than galvanised conduit.

Then again, what do I know :dk:

Gollom, just get your spark to do the whole job since he's going to have to connect into your DB anyway.

Sounds like a bread and butter simple job for cash :thumb: but make sure you get a copy of the test sheet.

Marty

WOW !! check out the brains on you guys. I wonder why armoured cable is used though, isn't a conservatory just like another room in the house ? And wouldn't it be a little unsightly ? Anyway for my money i would try to match whats been put in already i.e. armoured and just let the sparks connect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom