Outside temp gauge, etc....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul64

Car
1995 W124 E300 Diesel estate (250k miles), 2008 CL63 AMG, 1969 Triumph 2.5PI, 1975 Triumph TR6
The display has stopped showing the outside temperature on my 300CE24 however, when starting the engine up, I do get a +38C indication for a couple of seconds.
Can I assume the sensor has gone rather than the display? Can I cut and solder in a new sensor or will I have to run a new cable complete??
I also have a small problem with the ventillation fan speed control. Sometimes, if I turn it on to the first fan position from "0", it doesn't start but, if I leave it for a couple of minutes, it eventually decides to come on and runs normally after that. If I use position 2, there is no problem at all....
Occasionally, the starting of the fan seems to coincide with the sound of a vent flap behind the dash moving into position. Does there have to be a "start" position for all the flaps before it all fires up??

Thanks for any ideas

Originally posted by Paul64
The display has stopped showing the outside temperature on my 300CE24 however, when starting the engine up, I do get a +38C indication for a couple of seconds.
Can I assume the sensor has gone rather than the display? Can I cut and solder in a new sensor or will I have to run a new cable complete??

Thanks for any ideas

I have just fitted the OEM temp kit on my W202.The sensor has two wires brown and green on mine.If you think the sensor is faulty I reckon its just a case of snipping off the sensor and and soldering on a new one.(It wouldn't surprise me if a sensor from a different car would also work).On the facelift W202 the sensor is actually plugged into the wiring loom under the bumper making for a very easy replacement.

Outside Temperature

Thanks for the pointers, in the end, I bought the new sensor for about €45 on Saturday morning and fitted it in the afternoon.
It was pretty easy really, the hardest part was feeding the cable through behind the headlight!
I cut off the fitted connector and made the cable a more reasonable length, soldering on a couple of connectors that were options supplied.
The line to the dash is split under the fuse-board. The new connector clipped straight in and it worked first time. Seems pretty accurate after a minute or so, according to the thermometer at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom