Outstanding Tyre Duration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tikw2124

Car
2002, W203 C Class 270 CDI Avantgarde Tiptronic, COMMAND, Phone
Hi, Happy New Year to all. Had to replace rear tyres over Xmas, put on Falken 452s, removed Mechelin Primacies. Checked receipt for the Michelins and they had done 48k Miles. Just could not believe it.

Well done.
On a cost per mile basis Michelin generally beat anything, then factor in lower fuel consumption as well and it gets better.
Say £120 per tyre so £480 for a set gives 1p per mile tyre cost.

I am having to replace my rear Conti Contact 2 with 20,456 miles, on the S-Class. 275/35/20.

Hi, Happy New Year to all. Had to replace rear tyres over Xmas, put on Falken 452s, removed Mechelin Primacies. Checked receipt for the Michelins and they had done 48k Miles. Just could not believe it.

With that fantastic mileage why use anything else??

So far my rears have been continentals 3 sets at 15.000 each set 1 set Goodyears F1 Assymnetrics 14,000 and have now put on Michelins - If they break 20,000 I will be thrilled.

So 20,000 on my very heavy W221 500 sounds not to bad.

48k? Are you sure?

Have same on my 270 and don't expect to get anywhere near that. I don't drive like a loon or anything, just standard, steady driving!

20,000 miles and 5 sets of tyres.

As soon as I feel them going off they get replaced, generally seems to be about the 3mm mark.

Dave!

48k? Are you sure?

Have same on my 270 and don't expect to get anywhere near that. I don't drive like a loon or anything, just standard, steady driving!

I guess it's possible, if all 4 tyres are the same size (so could be rotated) and they wore evenly across the tread, but it really is a remarkble result.

I have a C270 estate which annoyingly has different size front and rear tyres so I can't rotate them. It also tends to wear the fronts on the shoulders and the rears in the centre - less badly now I've adjusted the pressures, but it still does it.

No-one could drive gentler than I do, and I only use the car for long stready motorway runs. I got the car at 6K miles and changed the original rear Bridgestone Turanza's at 18K miles and I probably left them a bit too long. Replaced with Michelin Primacy HP's.

I've just replaced the front Turanza's at 38K, mainly as the shoulders looked very worn - still 4mm in the centre. Put Primacy HP's on too. However, Costco were really unhappy not to replace the rears at the same time as they were worn to 3-4mm - I did order them, but the size/spec required hadn't come in.

They could last a few K miles yet, but something like 23K is likely to be their maximum.

Swapped all four tyres at 13.5k, I didn't think I was that heavy footed. (although I do turn off TC sometimes for the fun element:devil: )

48k? Are you sure?

Years ago we had an 1987 Astra van that had Michelin tyres and they were still good at 44,000 miles until some ar***ole went around the neighborhood sticking a pin sized instrument into everyones sidewalls:mad:

If this happens, buy your replacements at a non-local tyre dealer - just in case;)

I only ever buy Michelin tyres;)

Some tyres seem to deteriorate pretty quickly anyway - just had an advisory on daughter's 4yr old SEAT Ibiza still on original rear Dunlop SP Sports. They were less than half worn at 34K but were reported as "perished".

Really couldn't be seen until I removed them, but both had open cracks at the base of the tread grooves running the whole circumference of the tyre. They've been looked after and never run under pressure or heavily loaded.

Apparently Continental tyres are known for doing this too.

I have a real thing for picking up screws, nails and the like from the roadside.

Apparently, your tyres can pick up screws and nails and then have a blowout months later. They ARE a real hazard and some tradesmen don't give a damn when they drop them. (For the record, I am a tradesman)

I used to own a six tyre old LDV van that used to regularly visit the local refuse tip (drive into and across the yard) and also construction sites and never seemed to pick up a sharp object. The tyres cost £34 each.

My Omega (tyres £140 each) never went anywhere dodgy and would pick up screws and nails for fun:mad:

Last edited:
I have a real thing for picking up screws, nails and the like from the roadside.

Apparently advanced drivers do that - if you use the whole width of the road as you're supposed to, then you're often driving in an "unswept" area and you can tend to pick up nails etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom