Oval Tyre at Airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdman

Car
E55 & Phaeton
Left it parked up at Stansted for two weeks, returning in sub-zero weather. One of the tyres seemed out of shape - literally. This was particularly marked when braking, giving a slow vibration to the steering corresponding to one pulse per wheel revolution. Unbraked vibrations could be felt through the seat at all speeds. I stopped to do a visual on them but the tyres all looked fine. Over a distance of five to ten miles the vibration gradually smoothed out and finally disappeared. The experience was unsettling.

I have parked for similar periods at airports before with no such problems but had for the first time used an independent secure parking service where the hard standing was deep gravel. I wondered if this might be relevant. Tyres are 245/40 18 front and 265/35 18 rear. Any thoughts on this?

maybe that the extremely cold weather we have had caused the 'problem'

last week, having not used the car for a week, and the car is parked in an underground garage (vented), the ride was horrible for the first 20 miles, then it gradually returned to normal as mileage increased. I put that down to the rubber sorting itself out.

It's the contact patch that causes the slight vibration as it has not been moved for a while and it has taken all the weight plus the cold

Birdman said:
Left it parked up at Stansted for two weeks, returning in sub-zero weather. One of the tyres seemed out of shape - literally. This was particularly marked when braking, giving a slow vibration to the steering corresponding to one pulse per wheel revolution. Unbraked vibrations could be felt through the seat at all speeds. I stopped to do a visual on them but the tyres all looked fine. Over a distance of five to ten miles the vibration gradually smoothed out and finally disappeared. The experience was unsettling.

I have parked for similar periods at airports before with no such problems but had for the first time used an independent secure parking service where the hard standing was deep gravel. I wondered if this might be relevant. Tyres are 245/40 18 front and 265/35 18 rear. Any thoughts on this?

Hi Sean!
How do you like your AMG - still doing it for you? Im still with the E55 since it does everything I need of it.
I guess that you're still selling that roof rack I bought from you a coupla years back!
Richard (Birdman)

This is the reason why the Challenger space shuttle blew up 20 years ago. They launched in such low temperatures that the rubber O-ring seals between the solid rocket booster sections weren't elastic enough to mold to the surfaces they were supposed to be sealing, thus causing a leak of superhot gases,and the rest is history.

I suspect the rubber used in car tyres can have some "memory effect" when left in the same position in freezing temperatures too...

I've had very mild persistent - but inconsistent - vibrations recently and already am booked into the stealers for Wednesday. Interesting timing of thread - will let you know more but yesterday seemed fine.

The vibration when it comes is hardly discernable - but the sun visor joins in when down and the passenger seat if unoccupied.

:confused: Surely what is cold for us is warm for other climates? I accept that we do not usually go from summer to winter tyres, but we have read about cars left standing for long periods and only used for ski-ing holidays. are the tyres okay on these?

I would not be happy.

John the inquisitive

hi
tyre flat spot,
some years ago i travaled from leeds to glasgow in winter, i stayed over at a place called (crawford john) i set off the next day after a frosty night, within 200yds i stopped to change the front off side wheel, a dirty cold job thinking i had a slow puncture, i now know about flat spots,..

I wonder if there's a common tyre theme here. C240Sport97 runs an AMG as do I, so extra wide low profiles tyres. What about you tzar - what tyres were you using?

I have commented to various garages about difficulties in getting a good balance on these wheels and the answer has nearly always been the same - they're big and easily thrown out of balance. They usually need re-balancing more than once during their lives. Which are never long enough!:(

myself
Alloy wheels (4) - 5-spoke - Front: 7.5J x 17 (225/45 tyres); Rear: 8.5J x 17 (245/40 tyres)

Birdman said:
I wonder if there's a common tyre theme here. C240Sport97 runs an AMG as do I, so extra wide low profiles tyres. What about you tzar - what tyres were you using?

I have commented to various garages about difficulties in getting a good balance on these wheels and the answer has nearly always been the same - they're big and easily thrown out of balance. They usually need re-balancing more than once during their lives. Which are never long enough!:(
hi birdman.
yes a good point. 225x55, smaller side walls and bigger footprint,..

In extreme cold weather even winter tyres will develop temporary flat spots if they have been parked up. These go after a few miles as the sidewalls and tread warms up.

Summer tyres will take much longer to warm up.

The effect can be quite disconcerting because when you start off all the flat spots are in sync. As vehicle turns or if the wheels slip they go out of sync. and it goes from a solid thump thump thump to a curious oscillating wobble/thump.

Experienced this in Canada but fortunately I was with by cousin who knew the effect well. And found my alarm highly amusing

Hi Richard :D

I have had the 18" AMG alloys for about 9k miles now. Still perfectly balanced. Wear is even. I never go up kerbs or pavements.

The CLK is still pushing the right buttons for me. I can't think of any car with the same capability for the money. I am keeping it for the forseeable future. Last night, on the way home from Cornwall, on a brisk drive, I still managed 27.5mpg!!! Amazing.

graham230k is looking for a roof rack!

Birdman said:

Last edited:
blassberg said:
I've had very mild persistent - but inconsistent - vibrations recently and already am booked into the stealers for Wednesday. Interesting timing of thread - will let you know more but yesterday seemed fine.

The vibration when it comes is hardly discernable - but the sun visor joins in when down and the passenger seat if unoccupied.
wheels balanced and tracking done today - removed slight vibration through steering wheel. Good service from MB Coventry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom