Over 200mph reported speed on the public road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He'll not need to worry about a job with a pension. He'll only need to be unlucky once. I wonder if he's still alive...
He might have died of something trivial despite being a nutter, A friend of mine was always the nut job on his motorbike, he earned more money than us and his bike was always the fastest and well turned out. His rising skills were beyond question but he used to get up to some stuff on the roads that left us all pale. Secretly we all knew he was the one most likely to die on a motorcycle.

He did die on his motorcycle...sitting at a red light on his way to work minding his own business he was hit by a truck driven by a drunk driver.

But watching this guy does make you wonder.

Reactions: 219
Back in 2005 I went to Nardo in Italy to investigate the possibility of doing a production car 24hr speed record for Bentley. A standard Flying Spur would sit at an average of over 200mph around the 7mile bowl....for about 15mins before it required refuelling!
That would give rise to an interesting ‘fuel number’ - 200mph plus, say, 5mpg, equals 205! Could any other saloon car touch this? A good TDi can only achieve a fuel number of about 140; my highest was under 100...

That would give rise to an interesting ‘fuel number’ - 200mph plus, say, 5mpg, equals 205! Could any other saloon car touch this? A good TDi can only achieve a fuel number of about 140; my highest was under 100...
Yes, the ’fuel number’ can be really applied to conventional road cars. If you get to the extreme ends of either the speed or economy sectors, it becomes fairly meaningless. 1000 mpg lightweight research cars will obviously be outside ’conventional’ even if they only average just above walking pace.
Likewise, Dieselmax at 350 mph was doing over 5mpg so not really comparable with road cars.
Yes, 140 is a good fuel number for both an efficient road car.....and a Le Mans winner😉

So , top speed + mpg ?

by that token my W140 ( not sure of top speed for a 320 but I’ll guess 130 ? ) = 130 + 30 ( I know I achieved 36mpg on a recent run , but trying to be conservative) would be a figure of 160

So , top speed + mpg ?

by that token my W140 ( not sure of top speed for a 320 but I’ll guess 130 ? ) = 130 + 30 ( I know I achieved 36mpg on a recent run , but trying to be conservative) would be a figure of 160
Top speed plus mpg AT that speed
over 140 achievable by large proportion of the MB range and for road cars no doubt the Veyron will win as the top speed is the relevant part of the calculation

Did I remember hearing that if a Bugatti Veyron is run flat out it's fuel tank is drained in 8 minutes ?
Sounds about right

off topic bit - only one more post to go. Woo-hoo

The ‘fuel number’ is normally defined by average mpg plus average mph over a given time or distance. 70mph + 70mpg is a good run in a diesel road car. 134mph + 6mpg is a good average around Le Mans. Fuel number 140.

200 + 5 round Nardo is so much better

The ‘fuel number’ is normally defined by average mpg plus average mph over a given time or distance. 70mph + 70mpg is a good run in a diesel road car. 134mph + 6mpg is a good average around Le Mans. Fuel number 140.
I recall your mention of the Le Mans fuel number before, as it was quite eye-opening. 134mph for 24 hours is over 3000 miles. At 6mpg that’s over 500 gallons. How big are the fuel tanks?!!

I’d think there’s an optimal fuelling strategy as a heavy car with a large tankful will be slower and less efficient, but a small tank requires lots of fuel stops that cost time.

I recall your mention of the Le Mans fuel number before, as it was quite eye-opening. 134mph for 24 hours is over 3000 miles. At 6mpg that’s over 500 gallons. How big are the fuel tanks?!!

I’d think there’s an optimal fuelling strategy as a heavy car with a large tankful will be slower and less efficient, but a small tank requires lots of fuel stops that cost time.
I’m sure they’ve done a form of in flight refuelling where the test car just slows a bit and is paced by a ‘tanker’ like a fast estate car with bowser on board

I’m sure they’ve done a form of in flight refuelling where the test car just slows a bit and is paced by a ‘tanker’ like a fast estate car with bowser on board
That would be quite something! I guess if it works in the air...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: 219
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I knew I’d seen something like that .

Depending on turbulence from the fuelling vehicle , a variation of the system used for in flight refuelling might work too , with a probe on the receiving car , and the fuelling outlet paid out from the back of the ‘tanker’ ; then the following driver would just need to line up his probe with the receptacle before delivery commenced .

There are some fast estate cars , like the Brabus E72 ( or whatever it was ) which could top 200mph , and could no doubt have a 50 gallon tank in the load area .

with less need to slow down , more fuellings could take place .

Depending on turbulence from the fuelling vehicle , a variation of the system used for in flight refuelling might work too , with a probe on the receiving car , and the fuelling outlet paid out from the back of the ‘tanker’ ; then the following driver would just need to line up his probe with the receptacle before delivery commenced .
AKA the turkey baster

Tank size at Le Mans is between 100 and 75 litres, depending on category and flexible regulations. In my day there was always a 2500L limit for the whole race, although you tended to work on a litres per lap basis.
Yes, Nardo is quicker as you are just flat for the whole lap.
At Le Mans the brakes have to dissipate the same amount of energy that goes to heat a typical British home in winter.....all winter!

I'd be surprised if that hard to find the culprit

Looks like a previous-gen RS6 to me and that should be capable of that de-restricted. (Ringway? 😆)

I would think ANPR should show the plate unless altered / false.

Probably more like 190 > 195mph in reality but still highly dodgy on the public road.

Naughty!

Yep, real speed will be much less than indicated on speedo

No arrest yet?

Not seen anything since.

I know someone "on the inside" so I will see if there have been any developments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom