Over 200mph reported speed on the public road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mac, was it Jaguar who used the M1 as a top speed test track because no one bothered to set a legal maximum speed along it when it was first built ?
Jaguar, Rootes and others maybe but Im pretty certain that an AC Cobra, Jack Sears and warp factor speeds had something to do with the introduction of the 70mph speed limit.

Last edited:
Look, I hate to burst the bubble here but , there is nothing and I mean nothing faster than a LWB Sprinter. The Astra vans don’t come close.

Sprinter is the elitist Astra Van Harry. You just mix in posh circles. 🤪

Reactions: HB
OK, confession time guy's...I have driven an Audi at over 200 one handed...or is the real confession that I have driven an Audi 🤔

OK , OK it was a bloody Diesel and it was on the Autobahn AND it was KPH...and more importantly it was a hire car.

It probably wondered why you were going so slowly. Last trip to Germany it was invariably A6 TDIs that would hack past flat out - you know they've got it absolutely pinned when you're cruising at 200kmh (in a very pleasant C220d) and they make it look like you're parked.

Jaguar, Rootes and others maybe but Im pretty certain that an AC Cobra, Jack Sears and warp factor speeds had something to do with the introduction of the 70mph speed limit.
Think it was a Daytona coupe actually?

Judgement aside, this is an incredible video to witness; how the car gains speed and the comparative velocity to the surrounding vehicles is just eye popping. I simply cannot believe that he had the gonads to keep it pinned for so long but I suppose... in for a penny...

Look, I hate to burst the bubble here but , there is nothing and I mean nothing faster than a LWB Sprinter. The Astra vans don’t come close.

OK, it was me. :/

I once stood on the embankment of a motorway and watched the traffic travelling by.
In relation to their size, watching a Sprinter or similar zooming past at circa 80-90mph was frightening.

I can appreciate and understand why the HGV speeds were lowered.

If someone drove like that and stopped at a motorway services i would fully expect them to get a good kicking from other motorists for endangering their lives so blatantly.
I think most people would simply report them to the police to be honest, maybe film them a bit on their phones for the benefit of FB, yappapp.....

Reactions: 219
As many will know, it is not speed that kills, it is the stopping too quickly that is dangerous.
Speed is fine when used legally and appropriately. You obviously increase the risk the longer the speed is retained for.
Back in 2005 I went to Nardo in Italy to investigate the possibility of doing a production car 24hr speed record for Bentley. A standard Flying Spur would sit at an average of over 200mph around the 7mile bowl....for about 15mins before it required refuelling!
I was shocked that the test drivers did this in shorts and an open face helmet. Race drivers would at least have been fully kitted and demanded a full harness and roll cage.
It seems a strange thing to say, but Andy Green who is the fastest man on earth and currently aiming at 1000mph, is probably the most risk averse driver I have ever worked with. Everything is calculated, checked, and then checked again before he will run.

The absolute opposite of an unskilled driver illegally driving on 'crowded' public road.

If someone drove like that and stopped at a motorway services i would fully expect them to get a good kicking from other motorists for endangering their lives so blatantly.
He’d have to hang around a while for them to catch up .

I have been on an autobahn. Many times.
Ditto ; and always keeping a watchful eye in the mirrors for the double blink of the headlamps the better fast drivers will give from a mile or two back to warn of their approach .

My older Mercs had a setting on the flasher switch where the headlights could be set to flash continuously

Mac, was it Jaguar who used the M1 as a top speed test track because no one bothered to set a legal maximum speed along it when it was first built ?
It wasn’t a case of not bothering: there was no national speed limit before it was introduced in the mid sixties .

Prior to that the de-restriction signs really were that and there were no speed limits on the open road .

A lot of makers used the early motorways , which were often quiet back then , for testing - Jensen come to mind as well .

It wasn’t a case of not bothering: there was no national speed limit before it was introduced in the mid sixties .

Prior to that the de-restriction signs really were that and there were no speed limits on the open road .

A lot of makers used the early motorways , which were often quiet back then , for testing - Jensen come to mind as well .
Aston Martin were at Newport Pagnall, so quite handy to the M1 test track.

Beyond any other possible punishments he should be made to do a month of Community Service comprising of 12 hour shifts in a hospital morgue to get a better understanding of mortality.

My older Mercs had a setting on the flasher switch where the headlights could be set to flash continuously
Did they also have the blue light on the roof? ;)

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom