Over 40 'rubbernecking' M25 drivers to be prosecuted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For this reason alone, it is a worthwhile endeavour; ""Filming crashes and putting images straight on to social media can also lead to the families of crash victims finding out what has happened to their loved ones before they can be traced and contacted by police officers."

It's human nature to glance at a motorway incident when passing, but apart from the dangers, what are the idiots and ghouls who do this thinking!:doh:

It's human nature to glance at a motorway incident when passing, but apart from the dangers, what are the idiots and ghouls who do this thinking!:doh:

If vehicle passengers want to gawp at motorway incidents then that's up to them, but knowing there are also drivers who think "It's human nature to glance ..." is one of the reasons I prefer to keep my eyes on the traffic in front of me when I'm at the wheel. It's the "human nature" brigade who, at best, slow down the traffic flow unnecessarily and more seriously often cause further incidents. I'd like to see ALL rubber-neckers prosecuted, not just the ultra-idiotic drivers who also take photos.

Reading these threads I sometimes wonder if certain people here would just like to see all drivers prosecuted... except themselves of course! ;)

That'll be a tricky one to prosecute.

Whilst i dont condone the above and think its wrong,

Its easier for the police to do that then catching Burglars, rapists, Sex offender's and general low life scum who don't drive, or who do but not in there own car, perhaps one they have just stolen.:eek:

Same sort of thing happened yesterday. Tragically a mother and daughter both committed suicide throwing themselves in front of a train in Ealing. Railway staff had to stop people photographing the bodies on the track before there was a chance to cover them up. Absolutely shocking.

Whilst i dont condone the above and think its wrong,

Its easier for the police to do that then catching Burglars, rapists, Sex offender's and general low life scum who don't drive, or who do but not in there own car, perhaps one they have just stolen.:eek:

In an ideal world, everyone would know the Highway Code inside out, drive completely within its rules and not break any traffic laws…how much time extra time could be spent catching the criminals that seem to matter to people? I always find it odd that drivers manage to decriminalise (for want of a better word) or rationalise their actions because they don't see it as being serious at all or not as serious as heinous offences. This is ironic because that is exactly what the lower orders do to justify their behaviour; same behaviour, different parameters maybe?

in a ideal world there wouldn't be child sex offender's no one would murder and rape people.

or isn't that as important?

Im not trying to justifying anything some may do, i have a clean license and take pride in that. btw im not digging at anything or anyone merely expressing a opinion (just on a forum it can come across as not intended)

Last edited:
in a ideal world there wouldn't be child sex offender's no one would murder and rape people.

or isn't that as important?

Im not trying to justifying anything some may do, i have a clean license and take pride in that. btw im not digging at anything or anyone merely expressing a opinion (just on a forum it can come across as not intended)

I am not having a dig, G, and did not think you were having one either. I was simply commenting how I find it fascinating that so many people who drive rationalise their driving indiscretions and see driving offences as being unimportant compared to, taking your example, rape, thus making driving indiscretions unworthy of as much or any attention as the 'more serious' offences.

Stripping everything away (sentencing level, morals, etc), in the end it is the same thing; the breaking of a law but because everyone does it or because it is human nature or because it isn't as serious as whatever crime, somehow traffic violations should be ignored because of the prevailing mindset that there are more important things to be concentrating on.

I would bet there would be a general sighs of relief from every police force if by some miracle everyone obeyed the HC and traffic laws. Imagine, policeman could concentrate on really bad people rather than just the slightly naughty ones but in the meantime…

Just a thought; many years ago, drivers would be warned for not stopping at an amber light and for driving too close to the vehicle ahead. Then came in the view that offences could somehow be put into a league table of seriousness. Then, people started pushing the limits.. it was only just red and driving too close became commonplace. When standards are allowed to slip, they plummet and I blame Senior Officers and CPS for the present mindset of the public who excuse their own minor indiscretions because there are more serious ones.

Last edited:
I've always wondered why there isn't a screen put up to stop people rubber necking,
Obviously the emergency services have other priorities upon turning up at a scene of an accident but once it is under control maybe there could be a screen erected??? Just a thought

If other drivers did not have accidents we would not have so called rubber neckers.

Educating drivers how to drive without crashing would be better. :)

The old saying 'prevention is better than cure' applies.

Prosecuted for curiosity - one of the few human traits that separate us from animals. Strange.
Sorry, but it will remain a natural instinct for me to eyeball (but not slow, or photograph) an accident scene. Like you do when you fear it may be someone you know involved. Go on, prosecute me for concern for my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom