Over Head Dome Light - Small (bore) Diameter LEDS Required?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by brucemillar, Mar 17, 2019.

1. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Friends

As above: This is not for a Merc, its for a BMW. I want to fit LEDS to the reading lamps on my X5 Dome Light it has one reading light either side of the main dome lamp. I know that the Canbus W5W Capless Wedge Error Free LED's work okay as I have tried them..

I have a fitting issue. The LED's that I find on ebay, are to fat in diameter to fit through the bulb housing hole (the hole the LED twists into) I cannot push the LED home far enough to engage the screw. Does anybody know a supplier (link please) who supplies a smaller diameter LED that will allow me to push the bulb home before twisting it home. Trying to trim he plastic down on the LED itself can result in uneven finger lengths or irrational demands on Mrs M to help me out (as in do it for me). Its just fiddly, dangerous and not fun.

Has anybody got any clues who may do a W5W LED that is the same diameter fitting, as a W5W Glass bulb?

2. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    brucemillar likes this.
  3. stephenmercedes

stephenmercedes Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
    These guys have supplied me with 2 x kits for cars which are excellent quality, and individually labelled for specific applications - I'm sure they'll be able to help you...

premium_led_store on eBay

brucemillar likes this.
  4. AndrewOl

AndrewOl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL420 X164
    The Halfords w5w led units are quite small diameter. Expensive though.

brucemillar likes this.
  5. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Another issue that you may have is that they will flicker if its an auto dimming light.

brucemillar likes this.
  6. stephenmercedes

stephenmercedes Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
    Just wanted to say that the LEDs I got from my previous post work perfectly on dimming, and dimmer without any flicker at all... (not cheap, but quality rarely is)

brucemillar likes this.
  7. AndrewOl

AndrewOl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL420 X164
    Wondered why they do that! Seems really random though and only some units and not others. Will end up putting filaments back in just like the sidelights. Light colour is the least of my MB woes!

8. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    I tried some LED's in th rear load area and front footwells of my S204, they dim up and down on and off and the LED's flickered so I went back to filaments - but in the footwell lights with a bit of lateral thinking I was able to change the W5W's for W16W's originally in the reversing lights, loads better!