Over tightened wheel nuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-BTurbo

Car
B200 Turbo
The last time my wheels were off were when it had a service as Mercedes Bradford. This weekend I tried to take them off and they were all stuck fast. I tried levering it with a 3ft bar but got nowhere so left it in fear of breaking something.

Can over tightening cause damage? Ive tried looking online but get mixed responses. I will phone them up in the morning and expect them to do it for me but as I got it serviced last December I would imagine that if there was anything damaged they would say there is no way of telling whether that they hadnt been off and refitted by anyone else in that time.

It won't cause much damaged until the bolt snaps off.

If a garage takes my alloys off, I always torque them up correctly with my trusty torque wrench at home.

It certainly can do!

If hotrodder sees this he may chip in, but I think break-loose torque is proportional to final assembly torque. Sounds to me as if they may have been overtightened or dry - unless there is a new way of doing up the bolts on newer cars....?

hi all but the service was done wrong the torque is ( alloy wheels 85 lb ft ) if you over tighten the bolt you will stretch it and it will break as it has been weekend no ifs or buts

Hi I used to work with this gorgeous young woman and every time she looked at me guess what my nuts tightened up ,sorry to hear about your problem though.She also had the same effect on all of my colleagues.

It certainly can do!

If hotrodder sees this he may chip in, but I think break-loose torque is proportional to final assembly torque. Sounds to me as if they may have been overtightened or dry - unless there is a new way of doing up the bolts on newer cars....?

I rang the dealership today and they said I have to book it in :crazy:. I told them that I am 40 minutes away and that would add to the inconvenience so they said just drop it round sometime.

I asked whether they use copper grease and they said they dont use anything. Could they have seized and where would I stand if they have and cause a problem?

hi all but the service was done wrong the torque is ( alloy wheels 85 lb ft ) if you over tighten the bolt you will stretch it and it will break as it has been weekend no ifs or buts

The bolts will break or something else will break? That is quite alarming to hear.

If there is a problem and you are certain that no one else has been near them, and that they definately had them off last, then you have a point for sure.
Problem is they can say someone else did this and they can fix it for you, and they will probably get away with it.
So, treat em nice, tell them that you want it looked at sooner rather than "drop it in sometime" because you think it may be a safety issue, get yourself over there quicksmart after making a firm appointment. Take the Mrs. and do some summer shirt shopping...??

Did you say why you were trying to undo the wheel bolt/nuts...?

I get this a lot with customes cars, usually part worn tyre sale outfits and Kwik fit etc, i always torque wheel bolts up.

Did you say why you were trying to undo the wheel bolt/nuts...?

I did. I said I was trying to clean them.

I am certain that no one else has had them off. My biggest fear is that with all the salt over the winter they have siezed and they have to be cut off and will try to get charged for it. I really feel that if I take my car to Mercedes for a service I should not be having to sort this out or worrying about it.

I wouldnt worry about it, this happens all the time. A rattle gun will have them off I'm sure.

Probably wrong setting on an airgun when put back on. When you come to book it in stay calm but make it plain they were the last to touch the car and you are not happy! If they come the old soldier and ask you to pay that's the time to get angry.;)

Ok, this was very tempting to let it sink down and not reply but as I have specified and blamed a specific Mercedes dealership I feel as though I need to post this.

I tried to undo it the wrong way...:doh: Sorry MB Bradford

Thanks for the advice and now that I feel like a complete muppet I will go and hang my head in shame, lol.

I could'nt loosen the wheel bolts on my W208 at any price-a decent quality 1/2 inch drive T bar with a 3ft tube over was bending before anything would shift. As a long shot, I got the Mercedes skt spanner out the boot, stuck that on together with the extension pipe. Surprisingly, standing on the pipe, the bolts shifted, without bending the tool. There would have been approx. 450ft lbs of force there.

Just before I got rid of my old BM, I wanted to swap the wheels and the nuts would not come off for love nor money.
I took the car up a steep hill near my house and drove down with the brakes gently on (including handbrake) to get some heat into the wheels and nuts.
Back to the house and all nut released quite easily.

Ok, this was very tempting to let it sink down and not reply but as I have specified and blamed a specific Mercedes dealership I feel as though I need to post this.

Thanks for the advice and now that I feel like a complete muppet I will go and hang my head in shame, lol.

We've all been there....I've lost count of the stupid things I've done, and, most importantly, and unusually in these times, you've fessed up. Well done:thumb:

Don't worry bud, we won't lay in to you about it.

However, after trying to undo the bolts the wrong way with a 3ft bar, I would definitely check the threads on the bolts as I suspect you may have stretched them.

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom