Overfilled ATF fluid on 722.6 transmission - is it a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpollard

Car
Mercedes Benz E420 1997
Hello,
I (more or less) followed these wonderful directions about how to change the ATF fluid on my 1997 E420.
I bought 9 quarts of ATF fluid, and while the oil was draining out of the left cooler pipe (after removing the banjo bolt) I was adding oil to the tranny pan so that oil would come of the torque converter. Once clean oil came out, I buttoned back up the banjo polt and put the rest of the 9 quarts of ATF fliud in.

I emptied in all 9 quarts of ATF fluid. I did not measure how much fluid I took out.
I bought the tool to measure how much oil is in the ATF, and (even cold) it is over the black dip stick. :wallbash:

so my question is, do I need to empty out the extra oil? do I need to do it ASAP?
Your input is appreciated!

This is something I have never done, however, the marks on a dipstick are there for a reason. If the level was unimportant why put any marks at all?. I know engine oil level is important, I would imagine the gearbox is the same. I am sure someone will be along shortly who will be able to answer for definite.

You do need to adjust the level, but to be sure, are you measuring the level with the engine running and having cycled through the gears and back to Park, but engine still running?

You will need to drain any excess oil (best to use a vacuum extractor via the dipstick tube) There is a breather hole at the top of the gearbox, dont be too alarmed if the excess oil is blown out through it and causes a puddle of atf oil on your drive.

You do need to adjust the level, but to be sure, are you measuring the level with the engine running and having cycled through the gears and back to Park, but engine still running?

I took the car for a drive (did not cycle through all of the gears - I will do that on my way home). but I did go from Park, to reverse, to drive, drove for 6 kilometers, and then back to park.

I appreciate your advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom