Overheating 250TD (1998) estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

George Stenson

Car
Mercedes 250td
My car appears to run perfectly until I hit traffic or encounter a very long climb then the temperture starts to rise quickly getting to red on the dial which means I pull over and wait until the engine is cool before proceeding.
This car has 190 k on the clock and generally runs well. If in heavy traffic it takes about 15/20 minutes for the engine to overheat. If climbing about 25/30 mins unless very steep inclines like road to Glenshee or Applecross that have gradients of 11% and more. I do not live in a large city so heavy traffic generally not a problem
Has anyone encountered something similiar

Glenshee or Applecross!! Last time I went up there it was heater on full plus blower and windows open to cool it all down. Thats a big ask on any car.

What Paul says above or check out the thermostat.

Thanks- this is the only issue i have with the car and when I asked my local mechanic he thought it could be lots of different issues hence wanting to get an idea on here then find another mechanic

I'm not familiar with the specifics of your vehicle but I would start with the basics;

Check Coolant level. Do you regularly lose coolant?

Is the radiator clear of airflow restrictions (dead flies etc). Can you see through the core fins? If not then remove and hose it through.

Flush out cooling system and refill with correct antifreeze.

If it's an electric fan, does it cut in when hot? If it's an inertia fan with a thermo-viscous coupling, then does it drive the fan securely when the engine is hot? Failure of this device could result in it not turning fast enough when hot.

If you can answer these for us our experts could then chip in with more specific solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom