Overheating brake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
I'm open to suggestions here chaps.

My 2006 S211 with SBC is intermittently running a hot brake on the osr. Doesn't always do it but getting more common and usually when I've just done a motorway run. Sometimes so hot you can smell the friction material. Yesterday had the caliper replaced by my indie but on arriving home it was just the same. Parking brake seems to release fine. Indie insists pads pins etc all cleaned and greased correctly and suggests possible SBC issue. Given the money I've sunk into this car of late I'm loath to spend another grand on what may not be the solution.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be, all suggestions gratefully received?

Get the codes read using STAR. I does sound like a SBC issue and STAR will be able to pinpoint the problem.

Had a similar thing a while ago and it did end up being the flexible hose.
Fluid was going through the hose when brake applied but then couldn't return as the hose had collapsed.

Also had the same where it was a sticky caliper (piston) too and many cases of the slider being stuck.

Thanks for the replies all. Its a brand new caliper and I'm assured the sliders etc were all free. The flexi hoses are brand new genuine MB too. Poss an SBC issue. :(

Any codes on Star?
Not sure as nothing was read. The caliper was changed with the reasonable assumption that it was the culprit. I have an Autel generic reader but I don't think it will reveal much. I may give it a try anyway.

Didn't they read the codes when they blead the system as this needs Star anyway?

I'd get it on Star for a check, unlikely a generic reader will know about the SBC pump so wont be able to read it.

Didn't they read the codes when they blead the system as this needs Star anyway?

I'd get it on Star for a check, unlikely a generic reader will know about the SBC pump so wont be able to read it.
Of course! They must have done to bleed the system :rolleyes:. Unsurprisingly the Autel didn't find anything amiss.

Could it be the wheel bearing?
D'you know I did consider this but absolutely no noise so not sure. Thanks for the thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom