Overheating E220cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joesoap17

Car
S204 C220CDI 2012, S211 220CDI 2008, Jaguar XK8 4.2 2002
Yesterday I finally got round to looking at my air compressor for my S211 with self levelling rear.

Took the compressor out and did the "bagpipeAndy" rebuild, put it all back together and took it to collect an amp from Colchester about 32 miles away.
On the return leg just after joining the A130 got "coolant level low warning", no layby's or junctions for 5 miles so continued: after a few miles red dash warning came on "STOP ENGINE" and Temp gauge was at Max.
Managed to find a bit of grass quickly off the carriageway, stopped engine and on lifting bonnet could see liquid around the area of the water pump and over the Aux belt.
Phoned breakdown co and after a 3.5 hr wait in scorching sun, they took us back home.
Couldn't be ***ed to go out in the heat so up early to see the damage, will report back later.

Silver lining is No sign of the Visit workshop suspension warning on the trip. Just hope the engine isn't fecked.

Well definately leaking from around the water pump shaft and also the additional electric pump is making a racket so looks like both are getting replaced now.

So replaced both pumps, not too difficult a bit fiddly getting the plastic trunking out.

I can only guess that the electric pump was either already knackered or as a result of running dry, but it sounded loud and terrible as soon as ignition was switched on.

The mechanical pump had the bearing pop out the back towards the impeller, shaft was moving 10-15mm radially.

Good news that it's all sorted. The 4-pot 211s have decent room between the engine and radiator which is helpful. I presume no further warnings etc so 'safe' to assume no damage done ? Good result.

just been out to Screwfix about 10 mile round trip and my heart jumped as the "TOP UP COOLANT" warning came up on dash but kept my eye on heater gauge and it was bang on so guessing its just pushing the coolant all round the system and getting rid of air bubbles.

But running smoothly and a bit quieter.

Waiting for it to cool down a bit to take cap off. Bonus is the suspension warning hasn't come back!! Happy days:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom