overheating sprinter. (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
2.9 TD engine - same (basically) as the 300 TD e class. Sprinter (old shape) fully loaded (3.4 tons on the scales) LWB semi high top, with a bloomin gert big air con box on the roof.

replaced:-
thermostat
viscous fan coupling
fluid (and flushed) several times

Radiator in reasonable nick - the little fins are all there from what I can see.
oil level fine
gearbox (auto) level fine - if slightly high

drives fine, (well, as fine as you would expect with a knackered gearbox). constant 70 - 75 no problem on teh motorway.

80mph - starts to get hot - like 100 degrees. quite quickly. normal running is 80 - 85 degrees.

hit a hill (not that long and not that steep) and the temp soars to 120 very quickly. Admittedly, it has yet to overheat properly and boil over..

Theres more than Im happy with oil in the intake tube. The breather from the cam cover to the turbo is oily, as is the pipe just before the turbo where the breather goes into it. I have disconnected this temporarily (venting to atmosphere) and blocked the hole in the intake. I shall see if the amount of oil reduces / dissapears with this.

EGR valve working as far as I can tell.

Anything Ive obviously missed?

Waterpump impellor loose on shaft.

Choked radiator

Had this once with a Ford Capri. I had 3 of em in a row. they all did 100,000 miles plus. It was due to a partially choked radiator reducing the cooling capacity. Only showed up in the circumstances you mentioned. Tried back flushing but to no avail. Only answer was a new RAD!

i think thats what it is... have bough (for a laugh) that rad flush stuff... it was only 3 quid.

New rad almost impossible to find (as its an auto) - but can get it re-cored for 135...

Dont do 80. Sit on 70

Bazzle

Have you checked the injection timing and exhaust backpressure?

It does sound like the rad might be u/s.

Wash the radiator through with a pressure washer, try to wash from the rear 1st, you might have to remove the cowl from around the fan ect, then flush through from the front use also a detergent such as tfr. do not get the nozzle to close to the core risk of damage!!. If this cures your problem start to look out for a new rad. you might be amazed how much crud comes out from the radiator. hope that helps

i sometimes use caustic soda...........take the rad off,lay it down flat put some caustic soda in.fill with water and leave for an hour then flush and reverse flush ..........as someone said you will be suprised the amount of crud that comes out

guydewdney said:
2.9 TD engine - same (basically) as the 300 TD e class. Sprinter (old shape) fully loaded (3.4 tons on the scales) LWB semi high top, with a bloomin gert big air con box on the roof.

Hi Guy,
Good luck with the problem. Is your Sprinter a 212/312? If so, I thought it was a five cylinder 2.7?

Your vehicle should easily, easily cruise at the speeds you have suggested and your right to want to resolve the problem. Far better to cure, rather than wait for the big bang.

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom