Overheating?? W205 C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgehogsdad

Car
Mercedes C63 AMG
Morning all,

While driving on Saturday, I noticed that the temperature of the transmission oil hit 102 degrees. The red line looks to be around 130 degrees but this seems high - is this anything to be concerned about?

The water temperature always looks high (3 bars from the end) but I've heard that this is pretty normal.

Should I get this checked out?

Thanks in advance

What gearbox do you have, what type of driving were you doing and what was the outside ambient temperature ?
It's the standard 7 speed auto gearbox. I was driving normally in comfort, certainly not pushing it, and it was typical January weather, around 8 degrees.

Thanks, and that's reassuring - it's just that I don't recall seeing it that high in the past.

I couldn't see anywhere what the "normal" range is....
I haven't seen "a normal range either"
I have had mine as high as 118 in the Spanish Picos de Europa without any problems.

On a few long motorway runs this w/e doing a steady 80 mph, outside temp was 5-7 c and the gearbox was 80 c, engine oil 95 c and water was a touch over 90 c.

Yep, my engine oil also gets to 95 degrees after driving for a while. This temperature is perfectly normal

Mine has been as high as 108 degrees of late and is still concerning me, even with all of your helpful comments. That being the case, I called Merc Cheshire Oaks on Friday to ask for their thoughts.

Nothing from them yet :mad: but i'll let you know what they say when/if I get a call

Having heard nothing since my call on Friday :wallbash:, I dropped into MB Cheshire Oaks yesterday. The service adviser asked one of the techs and apparently I only need to worry if it's regularly over 110 degrees.

Can't say I am convinced and so the search goes on...

It's due a "B" service soon and so will get them to have a look then

Ok, so an update on this thread. On Thursday, the gearchanges became quite violent when the car was at normal temperatures (the gearbox was 106), but when everything cooled down became normal again. On Friday, the engine warning light came on and the car felt like it was running on 4 cylinders. I had it recovered to the dealer and am now driving a hire car.
The dealers have just been in touch to tell me that I need a new charge air cooler at £1450!!
Does this sound like it might be the culprit because a quick search suggests that this is an intercooler and not a gearbox cooler?
Any thoughts?

I thought you had a 2 year warranty on this vehicle. Surely that’s covered ?

If its a stone through it, then I don't believe warranty will cover it

I guess there isn't any protection in front of the intercoolers or radiator?
Lookup Zunsport. I fitted their protective covers to my E63

I guess there isn't any protection in front of the intercoolers or radiator?
Lookup Zunsport. I fitted their protective covers to my E63
I certainly will now! There seems to be a range of upgrades available, but I also feel a bit stuck given the car was recovered to the dealer.

See if they have any official offering on protection for the C63.
If they have then maybe some sort of goodwill gesture might be worth asking about.

They do now for the E63, but only for the two intercoolers, nothing for the lower part of the radiator.

I certainly will now! There seems to be a range of upgrades available, but I also feel a bit stuck given the car was recovered to the dealer.

Sorry to hear about your expensive mishap.

This protection sounds like I need something similar as well. If you find a suitable product, do post a couple of links in this thread. Zunsport don't have anything for the C63 W/C205

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom