Overheating!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasco12

Car
W202 C240 1999 Green; Previous: W202 C200
I had never experienced an overheated engine until today. But when there are clouds of steam coming out of the bonnet you have to face facts.

And of course, all sorts of horrible thoughts go through your mind: has the head gasket gone? has any permanent damage been done to the engine etc?

Fortunately, I found the problem: a hose (the one to the heater) had become detached. There was no trace of a jubilee clip so it looks to me like someone didn't do their job properly once upon a time.

Anyway, with the aid of a new jubilee clip and some swearing (the hose in question is not in the most accessible of places) the car is now up and running again. Of course, now that most of the coolant is water I will have to go and get some MB anti-freeze and replace it at the first opportunity. But, hey, things could have been a lot worse.

Glad to hear it was only a clip. Now is a good time to get the coolant system flushed, fit a new thermostat and radiator cap too.

New thermostat?

Because, it may have sustained damage?

Because, it may have sustained damage?

Well, yes. The overheating wouldn't do it any good and who knows how old the current one is, after all the car is a '96. For the few bob it will cost, I'd consider it a good investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom